ScubaPro 109 Poppet - here we go again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI - ebay listing - SCUBAPRO REGULATOR 2ND STAGE POPPET ASSEMBLY BALANCED-SET OF 4-NEW OLD STOCK - This item includes 4, new old stock, SCUBAPRO, blue poppet assembly, balanced, part number 11-150-003. These will fit any Scubapro balanced adjustable regulator with a metal body, and the G250 that uses this part number.

Looks like he has unbalanced poppets

Hi Gordon,

If this is the add SCUBAPRO REGULATOR 2ND STAGE POPPET ASSEMBLY BALANCED-SET OF 4-NEW OLD STOCK | eBay you're referring, those are indeed balanced poppets. Look closely at the soft seat. The hole you see runs all the way through the poppet and into the part that is missing-the stem. Those old poppets screwed onto a metal stem that extended into the balance chamber. So if anyone is considering buying those, best make sure you can get the stems too. Another thing to note about these old style balanced poppets is that they don't have replaceable seats which is why I would avoid them. I might have a couple of old poppets with the stems in a junk drawer if any of you need them. (no promises)

couv

Edit. D'oh.....yes, what he said above. I've got to get a copy of "Mavis Beacon."

will this kit owrk to convert a 109 over the the G250 internals? Would i need anything else?Scubapro "Repair Kit" G250/G200B, 2nd Stage Regulator, Early, Free Shipp,New,041 | eBay

There are three different kits in those pictures. The one with the old style (blue) poppet is just about worthless. The newest one on the large card is hard to tell what it is but it does not appear to include the poppet, balance chamber, or spring. The third kit does include the needed S-wing poppet and the balance chamber but still leaves you short the lighter spring that is required. And that price should be illegal.

I just went through my 109 today completely disassembling it. It is an unbalanced reg but works great. Is there really any advantage to going to the balanced design? I dont really do any deep diving mostly 100' or less. I currently use a MK V first stage.

I did an A/B test last year, with the regs tuned to the exact same cracking pressure. It was very hard to tell a difference.
So the real advantage of a balanced reg is in the longer seat life because the spring is a lot lighter.

@ David,

I find the BA slightly easier to tune than the 109 and in my experience a BA will hold tune longer; but I don't think it is worth the $45. Most people cannot tell the difference when hooked up to a balanced first stage such as a MK V; however, a few of us find it breathes just a little smoother. When paired with a balanced first stage, depth will make not make a difference. Re performance, the main advantage of a balanced second stage is that it can make up for some of the shortcomings of an unbalanced first stage as tank pressure decreases. However, with the diver adjustable resistance knob on a 109, you can also make up any difference in breathing resistance as tank pressure drops.

In addition to getting the conversion kit, there is also the issue of finding a new spring and possibly a new lever. While I'm thinking about it, does your 109 have a new style duro poppet where you can replace the seat if need be?

Yeah it has the duro poppet. I flipped the seat in it when i went through it

Well, you're all set then. You can get service kits from Shop Online if needed.

When I service a reg at home, I always use a fresh seat and will flip it only in the field or if I don't have one.

c

To give you a better idea of what we're talking about, here is a picture of an S-wing balanced poppet (top) and an unbalanced Duro poppet (bottom.)

2_poppets.jpg

Also, I don't remember anyone bringing up the "dreaded lever" issue. If you have the lever on the far right, you'll have to replace it with with one such as the lever on the left or middle. This is true for either the Duro poppet or S-wing poppet.

3_levers.jpg

I'm reviving this old dead horse because someone sent me pictures of their lever and asked my opinion. I could not tell for sure, so I measured the width of the feet of the middle type lever and the lever on the right.

The "feet" of lever that is compatible with a Duro poppet measures 0.090 inches.

The incompatible lever feet measures 0.125 inches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom