ScubaPro 109 Poppet - here we go again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quote from the Apeks manual:
CAUTION:
The lever legs should not be
twisted. If necessary, gently squeeze
legs together to straighten.

:D

3_lever_angles.jpg

In this photo it looks like the newest lever (which apparently works great) has a steeper angle on the feet which is compensated for by the "fork" being bent down lower. Maybe bending the fork would be an alternative to bending the feet?

Thanks for all your help guys.
Got the duro poppet from a board member and my LDS put everything together (no lever required).
This thread should be very useful for anyone trying to bring a old 109 back to service.

Is there a way to recondition or fix the molded on seat? I was thinking that something like Ever Dip could be used to coat the seat and extend the life of the poppet. That item would probably be too soft and you would risk having a small piece break off but there may be a product like that where the finished application would be harder. Anyone know of an item like that?

It's been mentioned on other threads about epoxy'ing a new seat onto an old poppet. Not only does it sound dangerous, it is also a temporary solution to a reg that should last another 30 years. I'd suggest just forking out the 15 to 20 for the duro poppet to get it done right. then it's just a common seat for the future...

It's been mentioned on other threads about epoxy'ing a new seat onto an old poppet. Not only does it sound dangerous, it is also a temporary solution to a reg that should last another 30 years. I'd suggest just forking out the 15 to 20 for the duro poppet to get it done right. then it's just a common seat for the future...

Why dangerous?

It seems to me it is unlikely to produce good results but I dangerous? Even if the extreme happens and it falls off, you do have a backup gas plan, don't you?

Dangerous? more than likely cause you should never count on backup gas and gear should be in proper working order. Wolfie if not trusting in DIY maintenance or modifications then it is something one should avoid. Why go on a dive with the thought in the back or your mind it will fail.

FYI - ebay listing - SCUBAPRO REGULATOR 2ND STAGE POPPET ASSEMBLY BALANCED-SET OF 4-NEW OLD STOCK - This item includes 4, new old stock, SCUBAPRO, blue poppet assembly, balanced, part number 11-150-003. These will fit any Scubapro balanced adjustable regulator with a metal body, and the G250 that uses this part number.

Looks like he has unbalanced poppets

Those four blue poppets on Ebay are BALANCED poppets, the older style balanced poppet that are screwed onto a tiny stainless steel shaft which has one visible o ring and another inside the poppet itself. These were used for a number of years, replacing the unbalanced Duro poppet. These old style balanced poppets were original equipment on the balanced 156 version of the older 109 first stage, and work just fine, but are not interchangeable in any way with duro poppets. The blue balanced poppets on ebay use a balance chamber over the spring, not a disc like the duro poppet uses, and the spring is different, with lighter tension. A third poppet currently in use is the modern S poppet, exactly what the 250v uses. The S poppet is one piece, no separate removable shaft, two o rings on the poppet stem and an easily replaced seat. Older 250 scubapro second stages used the blue balanced poppet like the 4 being sold on ebay. Those 4 poppets are useless if you dont have the stainless steel shaft they must be attached to. Again, those are balanced poppets just like the listing states, NOT duro poppets and not useable without the shaft and correct spring and balance chamber. I'm a great believer in doing your own service, but you have to be careful and know what you are doing.

Back
Top Bottom