Scubapro 109 manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I just acquired an old, very well used SP 109 second stage that I want to restore. I have a service kit but I don't have the service manual for it. Anybody have one to share?

Hey
I'm going through the same thing.
Vintage Double Hose has the schematics available on line.
My current thread is
Scuba Pro 109 Poppet - Here we go again....
I want to keep that thread clean and just related to the poppet.
I have referenced other useful thread in that one.
AWAP Zung and DA are the masters of these and very helpful.
A lot of this banter goes on through the DIY furom...
good luck

I can't imagine a manual to service one of these. Use the schematic and these steps: (peanut gallery feel free to modify/correct/add :D)

1. Remove hose
2. Remove cover, either small phillips or small hex bolts. Careful with those small bolts....
2.5 Remove diaphragm cover and diaphragm
2.5.1 (sorry I forgot...:D) remove the exhaust 'mustache' and exhaust valve
3. Remove c clip from adjusting side of air barrel, remove adjuster
4. Hopefully the spring and poppet will easily come out the adjuster side, if not, reach in with an o-ring pick or something and carefully remove them
5. Remove lever; you don't always need to do this, but I usually do it. Just gently pull the feet out of the square holes.
6. Remove orifice, use a thin blade flat screw driver. If the orifice won't come all the way out even after clearing the threads (likely IME) you can push it out with either a plastic or wooden dowel. A round, slightly tapered chopstick works great. The blunt pointed end fits in the orifice and doesn't push on the edge at all.
7. Remove the o-ring (010 or 902?) from the orifice and (011) adjusting knob.
8. Clean everything. Inspect the orifice edge with a magnifying glass (I use a 16X jeweler's loupe). Inspect the lever feet and the square holes in the air barrel. Inspect the diaphragm. If your rubber diaphragm cover and/or exhaust mustache are dried and cracking, you can usually get new ones for about $15 each (I think?) Couv has a bunch I think. Scubapro dealers can get them....inspect the spring closely; even though they don't 'fail' I've found a few that were pretty worn, and replacing them made the reg work A LOT better.
9. Assuming you're not converting to balanced adjustable, just replace the poppet with a current 'duro' (G200) poppet and seat, and the 2 o-rings.

Assembly is the reverse; a bit of silicone or PTFE grease on the adjuster threads is important. I put the orifice in first, then the lever, then the poppet, spring, and plastic cap (spring pad), making sure the poppet wings catch the lever feet securely.

Piece of cake....at least until you're scratching your head wondering why the old lever/new poppet don't quite work right and the lever height is wrong. But lets stay optimistic, usually it works great, if not you're probably looking at a new lever.

Thanks, Halocline. This is my first attempt to work on SP gear. I've always been an Aqua-Lung fan. Now, where do I get a new poppet since there are no SP dealers around here?

Bryan has a few, I think. They're also available on ebay frequently. But first, take yours apart and see what's inside. You never know, someone might have already replaced it, in which case you just need the seat. What's in your service kit, a seat and two o-rings?

It's the kit that Bryan sells.

Paladin, welcome to the 109 club. Your search for the perfect second stage is over.

Picture166.jpg

I don't know about perfect. At least not yet. I bought it off of Ebay for ten bucks just out of curiosity, to see if I can resurrect it and bring it back to life. It hasn't been delivered yet. My biggest problem is going to be finding the right parts for it. I figure I'll need a new poppet and maybe an exhaust valve. Maybe even a diaphragm. I ordered a parts kit from VDH but didn't notice the kit was for the balanced version. So I'll have to find a standard kit or the parts to convert it to the balanced version. I didn't get it because it was cheap. I just wanted the challenge of rebuilding it. I've never worked on anything from SP before. To tell the truth, if all I was wanting was a 109 to dive, I could've bought a working one for less cash outlay and a lot less hassle. I just like working on things and giving them a new life.

I know I've seen duro poppets on Bryan's site at one time. If you're having a hard time finding one, I'd send him an email. They do appear on ebay regularly, although the prices seem to vary widely. At least it's only a one-time purchase.

When you get it apart, post some photos of the old poppet, the old lever, and your repair kit. Lots of folks will chime in to help you out. Personally, if it turns out you need a duro poppet and it's expensive, I'd go ahead and convert it. The G250 kits came with the s-wing poppet and balance chamber for a long time, so NOS kits with those parts appear on you-know-where really often. Then the only thing you need is the spring, which is $5 at a dealer and is the same spring used in the current R-series (R190, 380, etc..)

But, that's only my opinion and lots of people just keep them unbalanced; it's not easy to tell the difference in performance.

Back
Top Bottom