Scubapro 109 manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't imagine a manual to service one of these. Use the schematic and these steps: (peanut gallery feel free to modify/correct/add :D)

1. Remove hose
2. Remove cover, either small phillips or small hex bolts. Careful with those small bolts....
2.5 Remove diaphragm cover and diaphragm
2.5.1 (sorry I forgot...:D) remove the exhaust 'mustache' and exhaust valve
3. Remove c clip from adjusting side of air barrel, remove adjuster
4. Hopefully the spring and poppet will easily come out the adjuster side, if not, reach in with an o-ring pick or something and carefully remove them
5. Remove lever; you don't always need to do this, but I usually do it. Just gently pull the feet out of the square holes.
6. Remove orifice, use a thin blade flat screw driver. If the orifice won't come all the way out even after clearing the threads (likely IME) you can push it out with either a plastic or wooden dowel. A round, slightly tapered chopstick works great. The blunt pointed end fits in the orifice and doesn't push on the edge at all.
7. Remove the o-ring (010 or 902?) from the orifice and (011) adjusting knob.
8. Clean everything. Inspect the orifice edge with a magnifying glass (I use a 16X jeweler's loupe). Inspect the lever feet and the square holes in the air barrel. Inspect the diaphragm. If your rubber diaphragm cover and/or exhaust mustache are dried and cracking, you can usually get new ones for about $15 each (I think?) Couv has a bunch I think. Scubapro dealers can get them....inspect the spring closely; even though they don't 'fail' I've found a few that were pretty worn, and replacing them made the reg work A LOT better.
9. Assuming you're not converting to balanced adjustable, just replace the poppet with a current 'duro' (G200) poppet and seat, and the 2 o-rings.

Assembly is the reverse; a bit of silicone or PTFE grease on the adjuster threads is important. I put the orifice in first, then the lever, then the poppet, spring, and plastic cap (spring pad), making sure the poppet wings catch the lever feet securely.

Piece of cake....at least until you're scratching your head wondering why the old lever/new poppet don't quite work right and the lever height is wrong. But lets stay optimistic, usually it works great, if not you're probably looking at a new lever.

Great set of instructions; 2 things to add:

1) Couv is out of parts.
2) Don't forget to hold the purge button when you adjust the orifice or you'll engrave the soft seat.

Edit:

Ok....3 things.

Orientation of the poppet is very important when you reinstall it.

Thanks, Couv.

I bought the regulator savvy book from Scuba Tools. It's well worth the 32 bucks.

Last edited:
I leave mine unbalanced so I can make my own seats.

I dove one today and I think I'm having that lever angle issue with it. Was slightly not-wonderful at 60' with heavy breathing, but ok shallower or slower. My others fully rocked out in Cozumel even when I was fighting a current at 130'.

The 109 arrived today. I took it apart and looked inside. It really isn't in bad shape. The chrome is worn away in places, but there is only a tiny bit of corrosion in a couple of places. It should clean up easily. It has the old, original style poppet. The diaphragm is a little bit stiff from age but is still supple enough to use safely. The exhaust valve is the same. Both can be used but I would like to get replacements for them eventually. The diaphragm cover is shot. The rubber is cracked and split. The exhaust tee is gone. The LP hose is questionable.

I have ordered a G200 service kit with duro poppet and I also have a new exhaust tee and diaphragm cover on the way. As soon as the parts get here, I'll put it all back together and test it.

I leave mine unbalanced so I can make my own seats.

I dove one today and I think I'm having that lever angle issue with it. Was slightly not-wonderful at 60' with heavy breathing, but ok shallower or slower. My others fully rocked out in Cozumel even when I was fighting a current at 130'.

This is a video I shot of myself spearing in 185 with that second stage. Seems to work fine for me.

Years ago, I grabbed a grouper and hugged it and it slammed my face chipping my front tooth with the damn metal second stage. I swore off metal second stages for about 10 years, but then I guess I forgot the lesson and went back to them for some reason. :shakehead::rofl3:

Spearfishing on a WW II Plane Wreck, SB2C, Jupiter, FL - YouTube

Okay. so I got the parts, soaked all the metal parts in 50/50 white vinegar for twenty minutes, followed by washing in hot, soapy water. I washed the exhaust valve and diaphragm in soapy water and dried everything. I then reassembled the reg with new exhaust tee, mouthpiece, diaphragm cover, duro poppet and O-rings. The lever height adjustment was a bit of trial and error, as per Couv's instructions. Once it was fully assembled and adjusted, it breathed really nice. I'll have to wait for warm weather to try it out in the pool, but it seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

Well, darn it, I lost the 109. My son borrowed it to use on one of his Conshelf first stages and now he won't give it back! Oh, well. Maybe he'll let me use it now and then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom