Scubaboard loads slow compared to ST forum and Decostop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would I pay for a site that is too frustrating to wait for?

I've nearly given up. I used to post something almost daily, but now, it is rare that I am even online here. I love Scubaboard, and have made several friends through it, but for now, it is genreally too frustrating for me to wait for.

On a slightly unrelated subject...

Mike_S - I LOVE your profile pic.

Its the water wings that make it art.

image.php

---
Ken

On a slightly unrelated subject...

Mike_S - I LOVE your profile pic.

Its the water wings that make it art.

image.php

---
Ken
It IS the water wings... and the red/white snorkle topper... and the stogie-in-the-corner-of-his-mouth grip on the snorkle.... and the Macarena hand position...(or is he signalling "8"??!?!). Thanks for excavating this treasure, Mo2!

~~~
Claudette

It IS the water wings... and the red/white snorkle topper... and the stogie-in-the-corner-of-his-mouth grip on the snorkle.... and the Macarena hand position...(or is he signalling "8"??!?!). Thanks for excavating this treasure, Mo2!

~~~
Claudette

Can Peanut head be signing "8" if he only has 8 fingers (digits?) I think he'd be signing "7" with that pose.

Although Macarena is more likely it. I mean, who doesn't sing and dance in the shower?

Too funny.

At least he's wearing blade fins...

---
Ken

After working on enterprise forums for nearly a decade (including some of a monstrous size) I can tell you, there's a lot of factors at play here.... some are driven by money (more hardware), others by knowledge (knowing the "right" tweaks) and many are just a product of the individual site.

It's amazing what can impact the site's load... every special feature has an impact (that means all those smilie, link retitling tools, etc…), what users do on the site does as does the nature of who is on it (guests use FAR less resources than members). Back in my SB days, we put a lot of time into reviewing every time request to see the impact of on load times and even one at a time it was a big pain... redoing that which I'm sure SB does continuously now is not fun and takes time.

There's no doubt SB could run faster and I'm glad to see the team is aware of this and working on it. At the end of the day hardware is cheap but making sure it works properly and the software on it is optimized is what's important and what moves the needle. Hopefully the new server and moving to a true clustered environment gets things rocking, and if not, then it's time to look at software which it sounds like is also on the table.

As users the best thing I’ve always felt we can do is to voice our concerns and our support. Feedback is what drives innovation and frankly, sometimes when you’re running a site, it’s what opens your eyes to a problem. In this case it sounds like there’s great awareness but I don’t see how more constructive thoughts could ever hurt.

When you speak we listen...

Today, I spent a good bit of time on the phone with several people (rather than on line), analyzing our servers and traffic patterns. Not satisfied with the explanations that I was getting, I trotted on down to the data center and talked with two of their senior engineers. What we (and they) thought was more than enough bandwidth for ten forums, is not quite enough at peak, peak times. In addition to those peaks, we identified a number of additional areas we need to address in our server management. Nothing overly critical, but when added all together they seem to make us a lot slower than the servers we are running on should give us.

So, we have quadrupled our bandwidth so we can see just how much we are actually peaking at, and we have ordered yet one more server to accommodate all of our traffic. While we are enjoying the extra bandwidth right now, the rest will take us a couple of weeks to implement.

There are many, many forums out there who wish they were consuming our bandwidth. It's the price of being popular and of our increasing popularity worldwide. How did we do it? We did it by listening to YOU, our users and by giving YOU what you want to the best of our ability. Thanks for your loyalty and bringing this to our attention. You can be sure that I will not rest until we have EVERYTHING running just right. BTW, look for a new look in the not too distant future with a number of intriguing features coming in the next six months.

Try this: ScubaBoard - Online Scuba Diving Community - Equipment, Dive Travel, Training and More!

You lose a bunch of features and it may take some getting used to but it is fast. To switch back (like if you want to Qreply or search) use styleid=56.

OK, I clicked that link and now my browser is loading SB in text mode. Fine, but how do I get back? styleid=56 means nothing to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom