ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2022 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question for folks who have been to Cozumel recently. What is the best way to handle paying for things there? Do you use US dollars or do you exchange them for pesos? Where is the best place to get the exchange? Also - I believe my Visa credit cards charge for international transactions. However, my Discover card does not. How widely accepted is the Discover card?

Question for folks who have been to Cozumel recently. What is the best way to handle paying for things there? Do you use US dollars or do you exchange them for pesos? Where is the best place to get the exchange? Also - I believe my Visa credit cards charge for international transactions. However, my Discover card does not. How widely accepted is the Discover card?
I touched on most of these questions in the new travel/packing thread, 1st post. Not sure where's the best place to get an exchange, but I can check. You can also post your questions in that thread for others to answer.

Discover is not very widely accepted, if at all, outside the US. Visa and Mastercard are the only ones I would plan to use. Most cost-efficient way is to use an ATM to withdraw pesos on arrival, tends to have the best rate, but some people like the convenience and confidence of buying through their bank in advance. Bureaus de change tend to have poor rates compared to either of these options.

I’ve been seeing some second-hand reports of divers with photo gear (bodies/lenses/housings) getting shaken down for “import duties” on their gear when coming into Mexico, mostly in Baja. My understanding is that the housing should be considered an accessory and therefore duty-free, especially since you aren’t reselling it while there.

Has anyone experienced this recently? Is there some sort of defense or documentation we can pack that would reinforce what Mexican laws are to show the customs people when arriving? Or am I worrying about nothing?

I’ve been seeing some second-hand reports of divers with photo gear (bodies/lenses/housings) getting shaken down for “import duties” on their gear when coming into Mexico, mostly in Baja. My understanding is that the housing should be considered an accessory and therefore duty-free, especially since you aren’t reselling it while there.

Has anyone experienced this recently? Is there some sort of defense or documentation we can pack that would reinforce what Mexican laws are to show the customs people when arriving? Or am I worrying about nothing?
I haven't heard of anything like this. I just did a sitewide search and didn't see any info on this happening, either.

I haven't heard of anything like this. I just did a sitewide search and didn't see any info on this happening, either.
I think this is the thread he's referring to...

If they think to claim I'm a professional with my TG6/housing, then I'll show them the mediocre pictures I get. That'll dispel the myth immediately. :shakehead:

I think this is the thread he's referring to...

If they think to claim I'm a professional with my TG6/housing, then I'll show them the mediocre pictures I get. That'll dispel the myth immediately. :shakehead:
Well, I don't know what to say about that. If Mexico wants to kill their tourism, just when people are starting to travel more, then that's a good way to do it. Hopefully, that's not the case.

Well, I don't know what to say about that. If Mexico wants to kill their tourism, just when people are starting to travel more, then that's a good way to do it. Hopefully, that's not the case.
No kidding eh? I'm going to pray this is contained to the areas indicated and, given that I'm flying directly into Coz, I dodge the bullet. *crosses fingers*

Back
Top Bottom