ScubaBoard Dog Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IF you go for the pup you'll be bypassing some potential issues that an older dog might develop, Depends on if they have been abused. Kinda like starting with a blank slate versus one on which you have to do alot of erasing first. My second Aussie, Diamond, is a rescue and we had to get over some issues that had developed in her. She did swell but it did take time. Don't have any idea of her age.
I do find that properly treated rescues tend to have a higher degree of gratitude then one who was brought up with all of the needs met.
Both my dogs are great but Smoke has never been without and does seem to take some things for granted. I know I shouldn't anthropomorphise.
Hope this helps.

mike_s:
you have to quarrentine dogs going to Hawaii? for 6 months?

I can see a requirement maybe of a certificate of health since it's an isoated island, but 6 months is a little ridiculos especially when they ship food there all the time
and it's more likely to contaiminate things.

only a month now, but back then...yes. It was based more on money and maintaining state employees status quo than science. Sometimes, as my daddy said "You must look at the intent of the law. (right before breaking it) MR FBI man...

These are my babies. Spot is the black lab/dobie (?) mix, and Sid is the Chow Chow. Both were rescues, although I did get Spot when she was about 9 months old - Sid was already 7 or 8 when I adopted him.

Wicket is the Chow in my avatar that would have been nine in November. I came home from DEMA this year and he had died unexpectedly earlier that day. He was my travel buddy to all of our Gulf Coast dive trips (and basically anywhere else I went that didn't involve flying). I got him as a puppy, and he was much more of a 'mommy's boy' than my rescues, but the rescues are also very appreciative and are great pets too.

My girls: Bodie and Tillie

These are my two spoiled rotten loved to death doggies. A White and a Black German Shepherd. She (white) is 10 months old and he (black) is 11 years old. He has been my buddy for the past 10 1/2 years and loves the water like I do!

My wife and I own a 21 month old (he will be 2 years on April 14th ... same day as my wife's birthday) Border Collie.

His name is Ghillie which is perfect for a dog that responds to Gaelic and other Scottish phrases.

As I type this he is standing next to me "eyeing" a large blue ball. When I turn he will "Way to me" or "come by" (depending on how much space there is in the room) until I kick the ball out into the hallway. Sooner than later it will be time for me to say "that'll do" and tell him "time for den".

Regret that our scanner is not currently working otherwise I'd post pics of oor laddie.

G_M

Here are our(mine and timle's) babies. Kahn is our 13month old German Shepherd and Lainey is our 2.5yr old lab mix. Both are shelter/pups pups and FIXED!! Lainey was left at the side of a road at 4 weeks old and Kahn was on his way to the Humane Society at 16weeks old when I met him! They are spoiled rotten but awesome dogs.

Miranda

So I kinda violated the human rule :D (for some reason I can't get the thumbnails to work--GRRR!) Katie, our lab rescue loves the water but hates loud noises. She actually preferred being on the tube to being in the boat. Next year we will make a pad for her to stand on because the waves hitting the cloth in the bottom of the tube bothers her and she tries to ride sitting on the front edge of the tube. Hoping to get her to ride by herself next year :D

You have to watch her while she's in the boat because when she has to "go" she'll jump out and head for shore if she can see it.

We had a blast at Norris Lake, TN with her and the people we rented the cabin from loved watching her run and jump off of their diving board after her toy. We found out the hard way not to take that toy away from her in the water; she's calm in the water and you can catch and hold her if she's just swimming and she'll relax in your arms. Take that toy away from her and she'll dunk her head under to find which hand you have it in then climb all over you to get it back.
Ber

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom