Scuba/Snorkel is it a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Everyone,
First time posting on this site, just found it and I LOVE IT:D

Ok so here is my question I am going on a cruise in Feb with 5 other people. There are only 2 of us that dive. We are planning on getting wet in Cozumel and were thinking it would be fun if we could do a combo trip with our friends. So here are the questions;

1. Not being too familiar with the diving, would this be a good experience for both divers and non divers?
2. Any suggestions for dive operators?
3. Should we just send the other's to the beach for the day while we enjoy some quality dives?

I would let the others do something else while the two of you dive. I did that in November. My wife (non-diver) booked a Mexican cuisine cooking class excursion through the ship (which she really enjoyed) while I went diving. Other options for the non-divers would be Chaakanaab park if they want to enjoy the beach and snorkeling or else a snorkel tour.

Also I would recommend setting up your own dive arrangements vs going through the ship. It is a short cab ride to the Caleta Marina and you can get a two tank dive in with plenty of time to get back to the ship. There are many good dive ops noted on these boards, I am not sure which cater to the cruise passengers but I used Diving With Alison and was very pleased with them. I watched large boats with a dozen or more divers picking up at the ship (paying a lot more than I did) while I took a short cab ride to the Caleta Marina where I met Alisons small boat with no more than 6 divers (there were just two of us that day)

If I recall the cost for a two tank dive booked through the ship was at least a 120 dollars and I paid 70 dollars for a two tank dive. We even had time to stop for lunch at a local restaurant before returning to the ship.

You can find Scuba with Alison on the internet just do a google search.

Gaffer

Hello Everyone,
First time posting on this site, just found it and I LOVE IT:D

Ok so here is my question I am going on a cruise in Feb with 5 other people. There are only 2 of us that dive. We are planning on getting wet in Cozumel and were thinking it would be fun if we could do a combo trip with our friends. So here are the questions;

1. Not being too familiar with the diving, would this be a good experience for both divers and non divers?
2. Any suggestions for dive operators?
3. Should we just send the other's to the beach for the day while we enjoy some quality dives?

Of course, the easiest thing would be to go on whatever dive/snorkel excursion the cruise line offers. An advantage there is that it will be scheduled with the ship's arrival and departure times in mind and the ship won't leave you.

If you go with an outside operator, you'd have to check with their schedule; you'll have to be available when they go out (usually 8-8:30 for morning dives) and you want to make sure you'll get back in plenty of time not to miss the ship.

Blue Angel (based at Caribe Blu) runs a 10 AM combination dive/snorkel boat, They generally stay fairly close to town (Chankanaab, Paradise, etc.) and go to easier dive locations, though you won't be diving and snorkeling the same site.

One thing to consider is that as a day tripper you won't likely get any op to take you to the more challenging sites in any case; most ops will want to dive with you a time or two to see how you are in the water first, and it won't make any diff what your cert card says.

Have to agree with old gaffer. Make your own plans not with the ship, many good dive ops. on the island some have been mentioned on this site in the past. As for the snorklers they should go to playa Corona or da zul ha for the day usually the dive sites are to deep for snorklers also good place just to hang out at the bars. Money bar is new and is nice Playa Corona is old and is just a cool spot. Enjoy the island.

I might also recommend Dive with Martin. Very friendly service, smaller groups of divers, and very accommodating. Make sure you plan ahead of your arrival though. It's very easy to do via email or over the phone. They may/may not require a deposit, but if they do it's refunded once you show up and they're a very reputable operation so no worries. Dive with Martin is at:

Home Page

definately set up your dives before you go and not through the cruise ship heres some dive operations, seaurchindive, blue angel and deep blue, i have personally dove with them on a few accasions as i was living in playa del carmen and dove cozumel regular ,all have small groups.
one thing i will say blue angel provide a meal after a dive if required which is very tasteful.

definately set up your dives before you go and not through the cruise ship heres some dive operations, seaurchindive, blue angel and deep blue, i have personally dove with them on a few accasions as i was living in playa del carmen and dove cozumel regular ,all have small groups.
one thing i will say blue angel provide a meal after a dive if required which is very tasteful.

I have been diving with Blue Angel for several years now and never has there been a meal connected with a dive trip.

I have been diving with Blue Angel for several years now and never has there been a meal connected with a dive trip.
Gordon,
That's because they know you too well. The "guest" factor must have wore off!!!! :D

Actually, they do offer the meal with the snorkel/dive package if you want that option.

As a diver, and a hotel guest...I just go upstairs and chow on a Chimi after the morning dives. Goes down better with a cold beverage!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom