Scuba Shack's Boat Get Wet Sinks in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:signofcross:

Sorry to hear the sad news. Condolences.

Oh, that's so sad to hear.

It reminds me of an account I read about a dive boat sinking off the English coast. There were some really good lessons learned about how we really aren't well prepared for that kind of thing to happen, even though we think we're in great shape because of the dive gear on board.

Reactions: Jax
This is such a sad event for our community. A Captain on another vessel who witnessed the event at Molasses Reef this afternoon called me with more information. The Scuba Shack's Get Wet had 2 crew and 6 passengers aboard. The vessel was taking on water as it left the reef and sank stern first trapping two. The Captain of the Get Wet got them out of the vessel and to the surface. Most of the other dive boats in the area had divers in the water and were unable to respond immediately. The John Pennekamp Park Vessel, Visibility, was just getting its divers up and raced over to help. Thanks to the crew of the Visibility, Capt. George & mate, Drew for a phenomenal job rescuing the 8 folks from the sea and resuscitation on the way back to the dock. One lady passenger lost her life in this tragic event. The entire community mourns the loss of any of our divers.

This is such a sad event for our community. A Captain on another vessel who witnessed the event at Molasses Reef this afternoon called me with more information. The Scuba Shack's Get Wet had 2 crew and 6 passengers aboard. The vessel was taking on water as it left the reef and sank stern first trapping two. The Captain of the Get Wet got them out of the vessel and to the surface. Most of the other dive boats in the area had divers in the water and were unable to respond immediately. The John Pennekamp Park Vessel, Visibility, was just getting its divers up and raced over to help. Thanks to the crew of the Visibility, Capt. George & mate, Drew for a phenomenal job rescuing the 8 folks from the sea and resuscitation on the way back to the dock. One lady passenger lost her life in this tragic event. The entire community mourns the loss of any of our divers.

Thanks for the update. Our hearts go out to the Keys community.

Bmsrfan, I am so sorry for what you are going through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prayers to the family

That's too bad about that lady.

But, driving an unsafe boat for 5 months? Why didn't the captain just spend $20, fix the thing, and tell the owner, "Hey, I fixed your problem. It cost me $20, so if you don't want to pay me and be a cheap s#!tweasel, that's ok." It's not like it was a major hull repair.

I've driven boats owned by some of the most notorious s#!tweasels in the diving industry, and they always reimbursed me for repairs I did.

Bmsrfan

First, welcome to Scubaboard. I'm sorry a tragedy brought you aboard but do hope you become a regular member posting about good times and all your local knowledge in the future. From this your first post, many of us will hopefully be less complacent about our personal safety while aboard any vessel, no matter how shallow or tame the seas, nor how close to shore we may stay.

Second, my prayer and condolences to all of those involved in this tragedy. I know you have been a great support to your friends and former crew mates during this stressful time.

Third, thank you so much for sharing more details about the incident and your candor about the conditions which led to this seemingly avoidable incident. It takes courage and integrity to bring issues such as these to the public. I suspect there will be legal ramifications from this in the months(years) to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom