Scuba Schools of America/Rusty Berry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. The BBB review site gets funnier and funnier. :clapping: Too bad it's not a well-known review site. There's been another update to one of the reviews - check it out.

I checked out SSA's website last night. I was stunned at the amount of misinformation and misdirection on there. I can see how new divers would be taken in by all that - but as an experienced diver, there's just so much *wrong* on there. The red flags were waving like crazy.

Even if I didn't believe a single word of any of the negative reviewers, either here or on BBB, I wouldn't send my worst enemy into his shop just based on a) his raging, contemptuous responses on BBB, and b) all the red flags on his website.

Hey Lina I'm just curious if you live in the SFV why did you go to Rusty's shop when there are so many other good shops around you?

John

And another thing I considered unusual -

Berry sells these custom BCD's, with your name embroidered on them no less, for about $650.00. But the inflater/ deflater hose is not included. He sells that separately. Can't remember the exact price, but it was well over $100.00.

Every other BCD I have seen for sale includes the inflater hose. Is that typical?

So the actual price is over $700.00 for a wing back(?) BC with a lift cap. of around 65 lbs. And to my understanding this type of BC is not the best for beginners.

Oh, and when I asked him why I should buy his custom BCD, and not another brand like Scubapro at half the price, he said - "this one comes with a 100% money back guarantee."

Funny, because he mentions in one of his replies at BBB that his return policy does NOT apply to custom orders.

in this case no.. you are purchasing the BCD itself.. It does not come from the manufacturer with an inflator unless its ordered that way..

He sells it as a true custom system and obviously this prohibits direct price comparison. Last time I was in his store (a bit more than a year ago) You can choose pull dump or hard elbow, standard inflator or Atomic SS1 and pay accordingly..

Hey Lina I'm just curious if you live in the SFV why did you go to Rusty's shop when there are so many other good shops around you?

John

I met him at the LA Travel show and signed up there. I bought into the whole they're the best out there BS. I didn't know any better, but now I definitely do!

Well if you do want to get into diving & want a great shop look into Hollywood Divers in Studio City off the 101.

John

Well if you do want to get into diving & want a great shop look into Hollywood Divers in Studio City off the 101.

John

DITTO!!!! :)

Don't let this bad experience turn you off diving altogether. I hope you get out there.

Out of curiosity, anyone have experience with their drysuits and bc's ? Are they any good? Can they at least be sold for a reasonable amount? At least that way people can get part of the money back in the worst case scenario.

Hopefully if they do decide to try diving again at a better shop, most of the equipment is good quality that can either be re-used or sold.

Out of curiosity, anyone have experience with their drysuits and bc's ? Are they any good? Can they at least be sold for a reasonable amount? At least that way people can get part of the money back in the worst case scenario.

Hopefully if they do decide to try diving again at a better shop, most of the equipment is good quality that can either be re-used or sold.

I have heard they sell a mean drysuit but you really should go for a couple upgrades:

Buy the add on for arms, legs and seals because they likely cut them off from the factory......IJS

:spit:

I don't know what's considered good quality in comparison to others, but for the price you pay, I would expect it to be TOP notch...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom