Scuba Schools of America/Rusty Berry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And another thing I considered unusual -

Berry sells these custom BCD's, with your name embroidered on them no less, for about $650.00. But the inflater/ deflater hose is not included. He sells that separately. Can't remember the exact price, but it was well over $100.00.

Every other BCD I have seen for sale includes the inflater hose. Is that typical?

So the actual price is over $700.00 for a wing back(?) BC with a lift cap. of around 65 lbs. And to my understanding this type of BC is not the best for beginners.

Oh, and when I asked him why I should buy his custom BCD, and not another brand like Scubapro at half the price, he said - "this one comes with a 100% money back guarantee."

Funny, because he mentions in one of his replies at BBB that his return policy does NOT apply to custom orders.

Does this guy have an email address? I really think this thread would be more fun with him involved. Anybody?

Edit.....I'll send the invite myself but can't see where he has left a way to contact him directly. It is almost as if he knew that he was being unethical and a thief and that his email would be used a whole lot. :hm:

:spit:

And another thing I considered unusual -

Berry sells these custom BCD's, with your name embroidered on them no less, for about $650.00. But the inflater/ deflater hose is not included. He sells that separately. Can't remember the exact price, but it was well over $100.00.

Every other BCD I have seen for sale includes the inflater hose. Is that typical?

I knew someone who would do that. They would take the hose that came with the BC off it, put the BC on display, then sell you a hose at full retail along with the BC.

Embroidery just ensures you can't return it. :shakehead:

So apparently Mr. Rusty is on SB......let's just send and invite to VooDooGas and see if it is him. Maybe he will bless us with explanations on how it is fair practice to remove part of a mask opr BC only to charge you extra to get it back.

Let's see.........:sprint:

You know why he does this crap? Because he can.

Actually I find it hard to believe that people who are capable to get online and post reviews are not able to get online, check prices of equipment, policies of other shops, and whether or not this shop is reputable. I realize that the deal he offers up front sounds great, but that would send up warning signals in me. As for the strapless masks, if I walked into his shop and he tried to sell me a strapless mask, I would require him to replace it for free or I would walk out.

To deal with this guy, and not check him out up front, you are literally buying "a pig in a poke".

You know why he does this crap? Because he can.

Actually I find it hard to believe that people who are capable to get online and post reviews are not able to get online, check prices of equipment, policies of other shops, and whether or not this shop is reputable. I realize that the deal he offers up front sounds great, but that would send up warning signals in me. As for the strapless masks, if I walked into his shop and he tried to sell me a strapless mask, I would require him to replace it for free or I would walk out.

To deal with this guy, and not check him out up front, you are literally buying "a pig in a poke".

Zieg, believe it or not, when I initially started looking for information on Scuba Schools of America or Rusty Berry, before I made this thread, there was nothing there. There had been one negative review on BBB and when I contacted that person, he didn't reply at first. There really wasn't a lot of information on any of this. After I had posted this and my original review on BBB (which was removed), and filed a complaint with them, did all this information start popping up and coming out.

Why was your BBB review removed?

Zieg, believe it or not, when I initially started looking for information on Scuba Schools of America or Rusty Berry, before I made this thread, there was nothing there. There had been one negative review on BBB and when I contacted that person, he didn't reply at first. There really wasn't a lot of information on any of this. After I had posted this and my original review on BBB (which was removed), and filed a complaint with them, did all this information start popping up and coming out.

Ok, good, thank you. That gives me a more faith in you and the others. When I first started to read this thread I highly annoyed (nice way of saying it) at this operation. Then it hit me this morning that didn't anyone check him out before hand? I am glad to see that I am wrong.

When I was a kid growing up in North Carolina, there was a dive shop in Jacksonville that was NASDS/Scubapro. I watched the way they did business and it matched this guys profile. The post that I believe Thalassamania made about the business policies of those shops at that time explained a great deal. I had always thought it way just the guy who owned the shop.

Sounds like it is time to flood him with bad reviews, at the very least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom