SCUBA-related rash???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
After diving in Cozumel, I received an itchy, rash-like series of tiny, red bumps that initially formed on my lower torso in the vicinity of my love handles. Over the next four days, the bumbs spread up (primarily) and down (secondary) my body. By day 2, a not-so-abundant outlaying of these tiny, red bumbs had reached up to my shoulders. On day three, the same itchy bumbs moved down my body (mostly a large concentration on my buttocks and hind legs where my shorts would cover, but some on my front thigh region) all of the way to a couple of bumps around the ankles. I have put some anti-itch cream on them and that seems to have a slight improvement. Also, about 3 or 4 days prior to receiving the tiny, red, itchy bumps, I caught a mild cold with symptoms of a sore throat and congestion (fever unknown), but that is probably decompression-related nasal stubornness and a drunken sore throat...it is Cozumel afterall. Any idea if I caught some crazy local disease or an underwater bacteria?
Chris

There are two things that could give you this rash from cozumel waters. In the spring time there are schools of small jellies (called agua mala) that look about the size of table grapes. They do not sting while you are in the water but do cause sever mosquito bite type bumps that last about a week.

There is something that occasionally comes up that are usually found more to the south. This is called pica pica in belize and underwater looks like pollen dust. I have no idea what it actually is, but it gives the symptoms you have described exactly. The bad thing is that instead of gaining an immunity to it, the more exposure you have, the worse effect you get.

a good fitting wetsuit or even skinsuit will stop both these types of stings. Topical or even oral antihistamines may be needed in severe cases. Ask your doctor if it gets umbearable.

With such rashes it would be helpful to know:

1. Was additional diving done following appearance of the initial outbreak?

2. Are there any other signs or symptoms?

3. Did the affected individual do any hiking, jungle touring or was potentially exposed to vegetation or trees to which they may have had an allergic reaction?

If there was continued diving, then it may be SBE (sea bather's eruption) a condition that can be read about in reply #20 of the following thread---->

Sea Lice-- http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=58030&page=2&pp=10&highlight=sea+lice

As will be seen, this malady is not caused by "small jellies (called agua mala) that look about the size of table grapes," but rather by their much, much tinier larval stage. Pica-pica is a loosely used term that is variously applied to conditions ranging from SBE to rashes from cyanobacterial toxins in the water.

If there was no more diving after the initial outbreak and the person was not otherwise re-exposed (e.g., wearing the same garments that were worn to dive in), then it is unlikely that an SBE-realted rash would continue to develop up to the 4th day post-diving, although the described distribution in your case is rather suggestive of the condition.

Rashes from certain types of topside flora can spread over a period of days.

Should the rash not substantially improve, consultation with a dermatologist would be advisable.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

You didn't see a bunch of reddish-brown moths everywhere, did you?

My worst rash ever was in Cozumel. Primarily the legs/thighs, but involved the forearms, stomach, chest, legs. Just spared the face & feet.

Turns out it was from the awful barbs shed from the moth Hylesia frigida. That was in the mid-90s, a year after a hurricane (can't remember which) had hit Cozumel. Researching a bit, I found reports of similar Hylesia population explosions that occurred after hurricanes, presumably because of the storm's effect on the bird (natural predator) population. 10 days of steroids didn't do a darn thing to the rash, and it was the worst itch I've ever encountered.

I'm not suggesting this is your rash....sounds like you may have something in the distribution of what you may have been wearing (??). Your post just brought back terrible memories for me!! Time to go back to Cozumel & work on my fear of moths! :)

Jim

expresidentusd:
After diving in Cozumel, I received an itchy, rash-like series of tiny, red bumps that initially formed on my lower torso in the vicinity of my love handles. Over the next four days, the bumbs spread up (primarily) and down (secondary) my body. By day 2, a not-so-abundant outlaying of these tiny, red bumbs had reached up to my shoulders. On day three, the same itchy bumbs moved down my body (mostly a large concentration on my buttocks and hind legs where my shorts would cover, but some on my front thigh region) all of the way to a couple of bumps around the ankles. I have put some anti-itch cream on them and that seems to have a slight improvement. Also, about 3 or 4 days prior to receiving the tiny, red, itchy bumps, I caught a mild cold with symptoms of a sore throat and congestion (fever unknown), but that is probably decompression-related nasal stubornness and a drunken sore throat...it is Cozumel afterall. Any idea if I caught some crazy local disease or an underwater bacteria?
Chris

You may be suffering from an allergic reaction. If you dive a lot & your suit has latex in it.... you may be developing a latex allergy.

pasley:
There is also the possibility of it being skin DCI.

The following is from a recent report of getting skin bent from another board which had simular symptoms.
http://diver.net/bbs/messages/44633.shtml

The cutis marmorata rash associated with cutaneous DCS does not present as "tiny, red bumps" nor does it spread to cover large areas of the body. It typically presents as a red and pale mottling/marbling over a circumscribed area of skin.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I know I'm a little late in the game for this thread...but I have been doing nothing but fresh water diving this year (so far) and have experienced the same issue. I have been wearing a lycra full body skin, under a 7mm body glove wet suit. Each time I've experienced this rash, it has lasted about 4 days, and is symmetrical - meaning it is in equal patches on each side of my body in the same places (under arms, behind knees, tops of thighs, inside of ankles, around chest and neck). Both times this year, I have experienced this after dives of greater than 50' (57 and 68 respectively, 2 different desert lakes about 250 miles apart).

The first time, I self medicated with a prednisone Zpack and the rash subsided after day 4 of a 7 day pack...
This stuff itches like the dickens!!

I'm not sure if it could be "skin bends" as again, it appears symmetrical, where DAN indicates skin bends is not...

Looking for an answer! Won't quit diving over this!! :)

NoDecoBob

Bummer, Bob

BTW, if 10 yrs is "a little late", what do you consider a lot late? ; ) Just funning.

Your description of the appearance, location & timing of this rash makes it extremely unlikely that it is any form of "skin bends."

Having essentially eliminated DCS, the 1st thing that suggest itself is an event associated with wearing a Lycra full body suit or Body Glove wetsuit.

1. Do either of the suits bind or chafe at the affected areas?

2. Have these suits been exposed to any pollutants/chemicals that could irritate the skin?

3. Do you thoroughly rinse & dry your suits between uses?

4. Have you ever sanitized them?

5. Have you ever experienced or be been evaluated for allergies to compounds used in making wet suits (e.g., neoprene accelerators, adhesives) or similar articles?

6. More common than #5 above is spandex allergy related to processing agents. Have you ever experienced or been evaluated for allergies to compounds used in making Lycra body suits?

It might be helpful to try the following, and in the given order (I would do #1-4 right off the bat):

1. Make sure that you immediately remove your suits and thoroughly wash & dry yourself after a dive.

2. Make sure that your suits are not mechanically irritating the affected skin areas, e.g., binding, bunching, seams chafing.

3. Switch to a cotton or other non-synthetic fiber under suit.

4. Make sure that your suits are well-rinsed & air-dried after use.

4. Sanitize you wetsuit with a product such as such as SaniZide Plus, Virkon S, Advance TBE or Bi-Arrest 2.

5. Have yourself evaluated for allergy to possibly offending compounds used in making & constructing spandex body suits & neoprene wetsuits.

Best regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Back
Top Bottom