Scuba Park "The Reef" in Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texas Mike,

Sounds good , I figured it would be something along that way. In Land nav you just count paces and ref contures, land ref points. If your not sure then you shoot an az to points you can find on a map then take the back az til they intersect. I don't think it will be quite that easy UW but I'm looking fwd to it. I plan on making dives near here to help hone in and practice the OW skills then I want to take the AOW class.

GD,

Definitely hook up with Dee and Beast as often as you can since they are really great people and you can learn lots by just hanging about and observing them (that's another beer you owe me, Dee! :) )

And be sure to join up with the entire TSDT gang come Memorial Day.

--Mike

TexasMike,

Sounds good, By then hopefully by I'll have some real dives under my belt. My goal is to get enough time UW and develop my skills to be able to dive Flower Gardens by Aug or so. I'll have to start checking out TSDT calendar for events

Thanks,
GD

Geekdiver,

Texas Mike gave you an excellent recommendation regarding getting to know Dee and Doug Hinton. They are special people. I always really enjoy being around them.

Recommending an LDS is a challenge. I use Oceanic Ventures. They are located on Bissonnet near Kirby. They main reason I hang out there is that they cater to technical diving and most of my dive buddies also spend their disposable income there.

It really depends on where in Houston you're located. IMHO, most of the shops I have visited are staffed with folks that really don't have a clue. They are just filling space and uninterested in doing a good job. As with any retail operation, the turnover is quite high. They push gear and trips with little regard what your experience or skill level. Excuse the rant.

I would recommend finding a shop that you feel comfortable dealing with (i.e. trust). Get to know them and let them know you are going to be a regular customer.

DSAO,

Larry

Is " The Reef " the same eyesore that's called " Lost Lake " near the 288 and HWY 6 overpass in Manvel ? I believe from the location it is a borrow pit. Mike from my LDS says Lost Lake diving should only be done in very limited circumstances. Usually he goes to the New Braunfels area or Blue Lagoon to do his open water certifications.

Thanks to all for the advice

I'll be sure to hook up with DEE and BEAST in the near future. I Talked to my bro-inlaw the other day as well and he didn't have much good to say about the reef either. He used to DM here in Houston. (Sidenote: thats how he met my sister. He kicked her out of the water during the OW dive when she had an asthma atack and he learned she lied on the med form. To this day she will not admit it and says "it was just to cold in the water")

Regards,
GD

Originally posted by C-horse
Is " The Reef " the same eyesore that's called " Lost Lake " near the 288 and HWY 6 overpass in Manvel ? I believe from the location it is a borrow pit. Mike from my LDS says Lost Lake diving should only be done in very limited circumstances. Usually he goes to the New Braunfels area or Blue Lagoon to do his open water certifications.

No, The Reef is off of Cullen Blvd. and Beltway 8. It's an old sand pit.

Lost Lake is only used by most for dire emergencies when someone just *has* to be checked out quickly for whatever reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom