Scuba Park "The Reef" in Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone ever been to "The Reef" in Houston It's by the Astro Dome, south Houston area.

http://www.atthereef.com/reef2.html

I've never heard any one ever say anything about it. Would this be a good place for a newby to dive to practice at. I plan on getting my C-card in April but the blue Lagoon would be a longer drive just to practice skills that I will learn. Once I get my C-card I want to practice and build skills in a more controled enviroment but would like to keep it as close to Houston as possible.

Any thoughts from diver in or near Houston, I Live on the West side of Houston area near Katy.

Thanks,
GeekDiver

I spent the first 2 years of diving after certifying at The Reef...or The PIT as we locals call it. It's supposedly spring fed but it get awfully low and stagnant in the summer droughts. Max depth when it's full is only about 30ft....and we've covered every inch of the place. Nornal viz is 3-4 ft. less around the platforms and shoreline entries. Lots of fish...big bass, perch of several kinds, koi, turtles, etc. Boats, bus, old tires and other diver trash for interest (?).

It's really a great place to dive except for a few things....

1) the water quality is horrible. For the last 3 years after being in the water for even short periods of time, I get a severe rash everywhere my suit touched and it usually takes a trip to the doctor to cure. It has been reported that sewage from the nearby restrooms have been run directly into the water. That was supposed to be fixed and water cleanliness improved but I've been there since with the same rashy results. I will not go there again.

2) Pete (the owner) hasn't kept it a dedicated scuba park like it started out to be. On the weekends you'll find families with LOTS of kids, latino gang members, etc. Loud music, either from the latino guests or from the occasional live slasa band on some weekends. Your gear has to be locked up anytime you aren't with it. Not so much for intentional theft but because of all the small children that run loose. They pick up pieces of your gear and toddle off with it. Another is the geese. There are several geese and ducks that wander the place. Goose and duck poo is not a pleasant find and is especially nasty to wash off. I will not go there again.

We checked out a new place yesterday off HWY 288 in Manvel. It's called Twin Lakes. It's in the rough first stages right now but will be a good place close to home.

Dee,

Enjoyed the dive yesterday. It took HOURS to get that clay off my gear. Man, that stuff is glue. Too bad we couldn't find a commercial use for it. Mud hole diving at its best! It was still a good group and fun.

I had almost forgotten how bad the Pit is until you reminded me.

Looks like beautiful Blue Lagoon for a while longer.

Larry

Thanks for the insite, now I understand why no one talks about it.

I figure if it was worth a hoot you would at least hear people mention it. There web site list it as 40' with vis at 15+, spring fed lake etc sounded nice by there web site and would be closer to get to than Blue Lagoon.

I'll have to wait and see how people describe Twin Lakes. Not much info on there web site though.

I have been waiting since last june to get wet now I'm just about all set to get cert but have been waiting for warmer weather. It's hard not to just rush out join the first class I can get into. But it will be better if I don't have to mess with the Cold.

The advantage of getting your Cert in low visibility, cold, and silted out conditions is it makes you appreciate Cozumel.

DSAO,

Larry

There is one huge advantage to learning to dive in local low-vis spots....you'll learn to navigate like a champ! I also believe you become a more comfortable diver when you learn in less than ideal conditions.

Cozumel and all those clear salt water destinations are the gravy destinations to those of us who don't live near it. But it's the local low vis, freshwater lakes, quarries and spring-fed ponds that we learn our skills in. So anytime you get in a situation where the vis is gone from silt outs, you need to navigate back to the boat, and conditions aren't just picture perfect...you'll be completely comfortable handling whatever comes because you're comfortable in those situations.

Larry...Good to see you again and meet your dive buds. You have to admit that set of heavy doubles you had on had alot to do with the amount of clay ground into your drysuit!!! I still think when the entry/exit points are improved and the owners plans get put into place, that Twin Lakes is going to make a good local dive spot.

I spent many years in the army learning Land nav so at least I'll have some realitive exp in nav. I'll have to learn how to gauge distance not sure how you would pace steps off UW

My Bro-Inlaw used to DM LDS here in Houston and that's what he likes to do more than any thing else UW.

I don't mind the thought of low Vis but don't like the thought of bad water and rashes. I grew up swimming in lakes and streams here in texas and don't think I will be able to afford regular trips to Mexico or Flower Gardens.

Thanks again,
geekdiver

Dee,

Twin Lakes will be fine once they get the entry/exit sorted out. Both of us using the steel doubles really mucked up. My gear needed a good thorough cleaning anyway. Tec diving does require a love for gear maintance.

Larry

Originally posted by GeekDiver
I spent many years in the army learning Land nav so at least I'll have some realitive exp in nav. I'll have to learn how to gauge distance not sure how you would pace steps off UW
When you take a u/w navigation course, the instructor will setup a measured line of 100 feet. You then swim this back and forth a few times counting kick cycles. After a few runs, you can then determine the average number of cycles to travel 100 feet and use that as a measure of how far one kick cycle takes you.

Typically the "basics" of underwater nav is covered in your open water course. Then more advanced stuff is in the Advanced Open Water course. If you desire, you can also seek a certification card (c-card) in U/W Nav.

Hope this helped a bit.

Daylight,

What LDS do like here in Houston, Are there any that you try to avoid

GeekDiver

aka Mike

Back
Top Bottom