SCUBA Laws NY & NYC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I schemed for twenty years for ways to dive via the subway from Manhattan. I'm pretty sure the diabolical scheming was much more fun than the actual walk from the subway station would have been.
Yeah, but who in NYC would pay any attention at all to someone in a scuba get up???

Diving in state parks is at the discretion of the park ranger. As far as I know all parks on Lake George allow diving. For sure Hearthstone Point and Rogers Rock do. The town of Lake George has several shore diving sites - one at the Memorial Park (I think it's called Shepard Park) and one at the end of a short road that I can't remember. At/near the north end you can get fills at Northern Lake George Resort - to dive there I think you have to be a guest. Blue Mountain Lake, the finger lakes and some of the other NYS lakes have shore diving sites.

To salt water dives in the NY/NJ/CT area you have to jump through hoops to find legal places and parking where you don't need a resident sticker (you can pay $15 or more as an out of state resident in state parks). Yeah, I grew up there and return for 7 weeks each summer for non-diving reasons (but do dive weekly there). Consider moving to Nova Scotia where you pull off the side of the road, no park fee, no lifeguards ("swim at your own risk"--seen that at Jones Beach?), walk from your car and dive....
Sometimes my freinds in Scarsdale, Yonkers and Westchester asked me why I left....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom