SCUBA Laws NY & NYC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kohanbash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all
In NY and/or NYC are you allowed to shore dive from publicly accesable parts of the coast, or are there laws about where you can dive?

It looks likes NY state and NYC City parks for the most part do not allow SCUBA. Is that correct?

Looking online all I can see is that you need a dive flag for general shore diving.

Thanks

You can't dive in lower Manhattan, but you can dive @ beach 8th street @ Far Rockaway. There are also some shore dives in the sound @ The Bronx

Last edited:
You can't dive in lower Manhattan, but you can dive @ beach 8th street @ Far Rockaway. There are also some shore dives in the sound @ The Bronx

Thanks. In particular I was looking at some of the various waters near Far Rockaway. For example in the bay. Part of the Bay is a state park, but next to the state park is public access to the bay.

I schemed for twenty years for ways to dive via the subway from Manhattan. I'm pretty sure the diabolical scheming was much more fun than the actual walk from the subway station would have been.

you are right-you need a dive flag for any shore diving in New York City or State. As far as lakes in New York Sate there are not too many that allow Scuba diving, The Parks Dept. regulates this. I know that you
can scuba dive in Lake Minnewaska up by New Paltz for a free. I would suggest to get a season pass to Dutch Springs In Bethlehem Pa. (1 1/2hr, from NYC) as annual pass for 2018 is only $215. till Dec. 31st and
you can dive anytime from April till beginning of November.

It's illegal for my understand to shore dive from a public beach in New York City now can you dive near the shore from a boat that's another question I mean did you have the buoys far out so you might have to do an underwater swim quite a distance to get to your preferred dive site that's something that I'm having to deal with now

Issue is most shore line is private property . Shore that is not private likely belongs to city and they would not like responsibility to actually give permission and promote activity and be sued if an accident occurs. Possible access points mentioned not worth getting wet as very shallow and bottom muck. Try orbit marine Bridgeport CT . They have boats and dive LI sound wrecks. Still limited visibility , better than next to shore, but deeper than 6’ and actual wrecks

I know several people who have dived in front of the aquarium, said it sucked, but recommended the rockaway beach dive out to the bridge @ high tide, so you can drift back to your car.

Back
Top Bottom