Scuba Gallery: What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Since this forum is the place for under water photography I thought I’d bring my questions here rather than trying to find people in site support. Basically, for those of you who have used our gallery script, what do you think? Are the limits good? Do you need larger file allocations or size limits? Does the system have the right tools for you? For those of you who have not used the gallery, why not? Is there something you dislike about the gallery or is it just not something you are interested in? Please answer with your honest opinion; the gallery has had an amazing start and I don’t want to slow it down because of a few simple problems that I don’t know about.

I really like the Gallery and the set up seems fine. But for some reason it's causing problems with my computer and the ability to view other sites properly. I've posted this is site reports more than once. Everything worked well with the Gallery until the last board upgrade. I really miss it, it was nice to have the photos in front of me!

I encourage everyone to utilize the Gallery if you can. It's a great way to get your photos seen and get the feedback needed to improve.

Dee:
I really like the Gallery and the set up seems fine. But for some reason it's causing problems with my computer and the ability to view other sites properly. I've posted this is site reports more than once. Everything worked well with the Gallery until the last board upgrade. I really miss it, it was nice to have the photos in front of me!

I encourage everyone to utilize the Gallery if you can. It's a great way to get your photos seen and get the feedback needed to improve.
Can-not see the photos and when I try it drives the computer screwy so I dont even try to look at the gallery.

It often does that to my PC at work, although my home PC seems fine.

It would be nice if there was some sort of batch upload facility, as it get can quite tedious if you have a load of pics to upload, apart from that it's great!

I think the gallery is exactly what the board needed. I had PM'ed Dee prior to the new board coming up asking about something similar, and boy was I surprised! Athough I have yet to use the gallery extensively - I still have to modify all my pics - but I plan to once I get my pics done up.

What sort of problems are you guys having? Is it possible it is a cookie issue?

boney:
What sort of problems are you guys having? Is it possible it is a cookie issue?
Boney...you can go to Site Support to get all the details but it's not cookie related. I've cleared cookies, cashes, histories, etc. and nothing helps. I can view it just fine through AOL...go figure! But with IE only the text on any page will load, no jpg's or graphics. Even the icons to post and navigate are gone. Also whatever website I go to after SB, I have the same problems.

The gallery is great - it's my photography that isn't so wonderful:wink:

One thing that would be nice is an area where I can easily edit pics I've uploaded, as to description, deletion, etc. Right now, it is kinda slow and painful, even on a fast connection.

Definitely good overall!

Dee:
Boney...you can go to Site Support to get all the details but it's not cookie related. I've cleared cookies, cashes, histories, etc. and nothing helps. I can view it just fine through AOL...go figure! But with IE only the text on any page will load, no jpg's or graphics. Even the icons to post and navigate are gone. Also whatever website I go to after SB, I have the same problems.

Hmmm...I'm running Win XP without any of these issues. I suggest doing a Windows Update to make sure you have all the patches. Also check your security settings for Scubaboard in IE.

Tech Admin:
Since this forum is the place for under water photography I thought I’d bring my questions here rather than trying to find people in site support. Basically, for those of you who have used our gallery script, what do you think? Are the limits good? Do you need larger file allocations or size limits? Does the system have the right tools for you? For those of you who have not used the gallery, why not? Is there something you dislike about the gallery or is it just not something you are interested in? Please answer with your honest opinion; the gallery has had an amazing start and I don’t want to slow it down because of a few simple problems that I don’t know about.

* Uploading is all good. Editing descriptions, no worries there. Like it all.

* We can work on the categories a bit... I think they may be a bit too granular - but that's probably because you're looking forward to a lot more pics for us to try to get through. Personally, I look less for the subject (like Plants) and more for the artist.

* the size it too small. Most of us are shooting with at least a 3 or 4 meg cam - many more with the 5 meg. 300 is too small - it simple makes it tough to represent the shot well. I have two cuts for all my shots - the regular cut and the SB cut. I WISH I could up load my regular cut (the 2 - 3 meg size) and have a utility on SB dumb it down to 300 (or better 500)... it takes too long recutting so I've only posted a couple.

* Every time I upload a photo, two of them show up. After a few hours (or over night) the board catches up and then there is only one. THAT is a little weird.

* No problems viewing. never get the Red X... its all good there.

For me, it gets down to the time involved with recutting everything for SB, and so I don't. If we can get something that will accept real files and cull them down to acceptable sizes, great. Everything else is aces.

K

Mo2vation:
*the size it too small. Most of us are shooting with at least a 3 or 4 meg cam - many more with the 5 meg. 300 is too small - it simple makes it tough to represent the shot well. I have two cuts for all my shots - the regular cut and the SB cut. I WISH I could up load my regular cut (the 2 - 3 meg size) and have a utility on SB dumb it down to 300 (or better 500)... it takes too long recutting so I've only posted a couple.

While this will not help "represent the shot well", online galleries can't realistically host/download 2MB shots. An easy cure for cutting is to use one of the many thumbnail creators (which can create any size, not just thumbnails) from the original. The one I use is from http://www.express-soft.com/ - it will create a ready to go webpage, complete with thumbs and reduced-size images.

Or, you can have it automatically resize any number of images to whatever size you need (perfect for SB's gallery) :wink:

You can try it for 30 days, and I think it was very cheap to buy after that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom