Scuba-friendly automobile suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the market looking for a scuba vehicle and truck all in one. I now have a 98 Volvo S70 w/150K miles. Let me tell you, 2 divers, scuba gear and camping gear on a trip to Ginnie Springs is a Mack truck load. I'm thinking about a Toyota PreRunner 4 door. It's a fine looking truck and with a matching locking shell on back, I think it would serve well. I have to go small, as I travel about 110 miles daily to/from work, so milage DOES factor in. Anyone have any comments on this being a cool scuba scooter?

I bet you could get two divers gear, camping gear, and miscellaneous stuff in a Jetta Wagon - if you folded the rear seats.

If it was a TDI, you'd also get nearly 50mpg - something to think about..... (I own one and love the silly thing.)

I also have a Suburban, which I love for the big load capacity, but if you only have to carry TWO divers then its all a matter of cargo room - you only need the front seats.

I like my Ford Expedition. I can carry 4 divers and gear....its all enclosed....it has keyless entry for shore dives (don't have to worry about the key getting lost/stolen) and yet is smaller than the Excursion for parking on crowded beach city streets.

inter_alia:
This thread will likely quickly turn into a Ford-Chevy argument but I'll risk it.
I am in the market for a new car and since I've been in a Honda Civic (the antithesis of a scuba-friendly automobile, IMHO) for three years, I'm looking at better options. Never one to care much about what I drive (obviously), I should say appearance isn't my primary concern. Neither is an enormous engine or AWD. I want to haul tanks, gear, a friend or two and be as comfortable as possible when doing this.
As a starting point, I'm considering (oh no) the Honda Element. It's so ugly I can't resist but want to know if scubaboard has any suggestions.

Thanks!

I used to have an Accord. Loved it. Started diving & needed a new ride. Got a truck. Nice hauler, but couldn't secure gear very well. Now the wife and I have a CRV and an Odyssey Mini-van. The CRV was mine, until I tried to take all my gear and a buddy diving one weekend. Just not enough room. Back door was a pain in the butt (literally) as it kept shutting on me if I parked on a slight incline at a dive site.

So we switched. Yes I am the cool guy that drives a minivan that all of you want to be like.

It may not be the epitome of coolness, but it is the best dive vehicle ever! The back hatch raises up rather than swings out. That gives me protection from the sun (and rain on crappy days). The back seat folds down so I can haul 8 tanks, 2 sets of dive gear (in dive boxes), a cooler, a couple suitcases, a crapload of extra save-a-dive type gear, a couple folding chairs, and other senseless essentials. And I still have room for four people. If I pop the middle seats out (takes about 1 minute), I can fit even more gear in. With sliding doors on both sides, it is a breeze to use the van as a "staging" area to get dresses, set up, etc.

It is low enough to the ground that I can sit on the back or sides when the doors are open. Very comfortable. I also have slept many a night in the van at dive sites. I have a rubber mat I put down and it makes it easy to clean.

The CRV and Element are built on the same chasis and is basically the same vehicle. Not bad, but not much power (or room). A bit better on mileage though. The Odyssey and the Pilot are the same (basically). The Pilot sits higher and doesn't seem to be as versatile on room.

Go Odyssey!!!

Oh ya, you can put a dive plate on the front to be really cool.

DH & I have a '99 Subaru Outback Sport we just love. It has a cargo tray like the one Marvintpa mentioned which is great for containing wet equipment

DH & I have a '99 Subaru Outback Sport we just love. It has a cargo tray like the one Marvintpa mentioned which is great for containing wet equipment. The sport is the perfect size for the 2 of us and our gear. Plus with the 16" wheels it have as much if not more ground clearance an a van and some SUVs.

-Chris

old school van-man-

I couldnt agree more with the van issue, our DAV (dive assult vehicle) is a 94 ford ecoline 350, diesel, lifted 4 inches and factory built 4 wheel drive, 33 inch mud terrains. full cargro rack on top with 5 day lighters on the rack for night dives. and oh yea a removable winch. needless to say its one bad machine and with zodiac in tow it really turns heads.for a pure dive vehicle you cant beat it, and for keyless entry we have our tropicana bikini surface team holding the cooler down, i wish, no really

and for the Honda/subaru folks, lets get real hear we are not going to soccer practice

I can haul 3 sets of gear in my JEEP Grand Cherokee... Lots of space- Stright SIx engine will last 200 k miles- Nice ride too- Style doesnt change- so it always looks new

E-350 Ford 7 passenger van. Actually, to take 4 divers I'd take out the bench seat and leave the 4 captain's chairs. The plus side over my old Chevy 30 series van is the GREAT ground clearance. The down side over many of the vehicles listed here is the 15-17 mpg.

Of course, when I load it up with 7 folks for a (non-diving) run to Knoxville this weekend, the person-miles per gallon will work out pretty good.

I've been a van guy for a long time. The reason I traded the Chevy is that it just wouldn't last. After 18 years it was getting a bit long in the tooth. :cheeky: Now my insurance agent buddy has been telling me his company (State Farm) won't write policies on one ton 15-passenger vans, and other companies are following suit. Has anybody had actual experience in this matter?

KYDan

Back
Top Bottom