Scuba-friendly automobile suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a truck person (too tall, poor weight distribustion is a factor in bad weather, too expensive for whatcha get, etc.) so the Subaru Outback wagon seems like a good choice to me. They come with a tray in the back with a 1" tall lip around it which catches all the water from dive gear perfectly - just tilt it when you are unloading and your car is dry again. It has handled multiple sets of doubles plus gear and cameras better than I could have imagined.

The new ultimate SCUBA vehicle is a Toyota Pick-up Truck!

Why? Watch this video...

Part 1
Part 2

Now I have a Chevy 1/2ton extended cab. Short Bed. 2 wheel drive. Haul all for me and a buddy.

Next, An Excursion. I hate having to haul gear into the hotel at night so somebody doesn't steal it. When we go out. With an Excursion. Just lock it up. Even at the dive site. I like to lock it up now. As some things have been disappearing at the sights.....

When I still lived in Missouri for the local trips I used my 63' Willys panel, great vehicle for it, but just don't plan on getting anywhere to fast. Or, if it was just me I would take my Typhoon. Further away and all trips now, since I moved to Texas, I use my Tahoe, does a good job.

caveseeker, I can't believe you handle all that in a Miata. Kudos are in order.

Thanks again everyone for continuing to post in here. I'm still looking around and have decided against the pickup route (see a couple posts above, I agree) and still like the smaller SUVs like the Element and maybe the Rav4. No H2 but my husband almost has me talked into a Pinzguaer http://www.pinzgauer.uk.com/images/G01.jpg since he could at least go to 6 or 7 feet with me. Kidding, almost, apparently he found several around the Southeast for 14K. How about that for a pick-em-up truck?

Keep the replies coming!

inter_alia:
Yeah ! Pinzgauer's are great off road. Come as 4x4s or 6x6s as shown, from Austria. Made by Steyer-Daimler-puch, the same people who build the Mercedes G-wagon. :D Another good car to move dive gear once you're past the $70K+ admission. But both all those as well as the rest mentioned here have one disadvantage: They sink! Although with a Suburban, Excursion or extended full size van this could be seen as an advantage:
If you're diving off the beach and it turns out to be a boring dive, let'em sink and presto, you've got a divable wreck. :D

Otherwise, how about a Ford GPA?

Or, for a few friends with twins and stages:

While I wouldn't want to be the guy in the left picture, I can just see that DUK approaching Avalon, drive up the ramp and on the Point with people throwing fits left and right. :D

Back
Top Bottom