Scuba-friendly automobile suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do not want that SUV. One of my friends has the FJ and she can not stand it. It also has a ton of air noise and it is not very comfortable. :auto::m16:

I'm now awaiting delivery of this car...

renault-megane-grandtour-phase-ii-diesel-5211.jpg

Home_L193SW0162.jpg

Keyless entry, enough space for two sets of gear and an easy way to kit up.

You do not want that SUV. One of my friends has the FJ and she can not stand it. It also has a ton of air noise and it is not very comfortable. :auto::m16:

Agreed - I had a 2007 for about eight months. The rear visibility was very bad. It has a lot of good points, but look closely at how much stowage space you get in the back - it's extremely small for the outward size of the vehicle. Nice features are the fairly indestructible interior, the big controls, and it IS stylish looking. Handles not bad, I put on a lot of highway miles. I did have comments from passengers in the rear that it wasn't very comfortable back there.

Last point, I had a heck of a time finding a buyer when I decided it wasn't for me and wanted to sell it. (This was in Canada).

Well, a Chevy Trail Blazer is a little tight for 5 people and equipment for 4 including wetsuits plus normal luggage. We looked at a used Chevy Avalanche and it looks perfect. The stubby truck bed with cover should hold all of the gear, the tailgate would be nice for sitting on while dressing and it should carry the herd quite comfortably.

A used 2004 with 41,000 miles was $15k and a new 2009 looks like $36k to $44k. There's no way we'll be buying a new one.

The other possibility sounds absurd but seems to work. Most of the herd and some of the equipment in the Trail Blazer and the rest of the stuff in a Chevy Silverado pickup. It adds about $40 in gas to the trip but that's a lot of trips before it pays for a new Avalanche.

Richard

My father drives a Trail blazer... it doesnt have much cargo room. I can't say I'd suggest it as a car to drive over other ones out there....

I doubt you could get 5 people + gear + tanks (2 each or 10 total) + luggage in it. the cargo area just isn't that big. maybe you could put a gear bag (or two) on the luggage rack, but 3 people in that back seat is kinda snug also. (the back seat ride isn't comfortable either in my opinion and also the driver visibility out of the rear windows SUCKS.

I've got a full size Tahoe and it works great. I just have a HUSKY Mat in the back to put gear on. This is a MUST for any SUV owner and even more so for someone who dives. the HUSKY Mat catches any moisture and sand from getting into the carpet. keeps that wet mildew smell down. When done just pull out the matt and hose off. (or don't and it'll dry on its own). But no worries about wet carpet from gear bags or wetsuits.

The Tahoe has great room in the cargo area for 4+ sets of tanks and full sets of gear. You can easily ride 3 people with room in the back seat also.

The only downfall is gas mileage. about 18mpg on a trip. (if you're lucky). But gas prices have dropped recently. (paid $1.67/gallon this weekend) and makes it more affordable to drive on a trip.

The Honda Element is awesome. I posted a couple threads on the Element Owner's Club forum about dive trips in it: here and here.

I would have to say I have seen the Honda Element used, but also I just recently bought a Honda Ridgeline, and it is great. It has the bed space to hold all the gear you need, plus and in bed trunk for extra hideaway space, and fits 5 people comfortably.

Well, a Chevy Trail Blazer is a little tight for 5 people and equipment for 4 including wetsuits plus normal luggage. We looked at a used Chevy Avalanche and it looks perfect. The stubby truck bed with cover should hold all of the gear, the tailgate would be nice for sitting on while dressing and it should carry the herd quite comfortably.

A used 2004 with 41,000 miles was $15k and a new 2009 looks like $36k to $44k. There's no way we'll be buying a new one.

The other possibility sounds absurd but seems to work. Most of the herd and some of the equipment in the Trail Blazer and the rest of the stuff in a Chevy Silverado pickup. It adds about $40 in gas to the trip but that's a lot of trips before it pays for a new Avalanche.

Richard

My wife loves her Trailblazer but when we go (local) diving we take my crew cab pickup. It holds all the gear and room for much more.

BTW, the Avalanche is also a great truck, in the business we call them transformers.

Chevy Express 3500 passenger van. Take out the two rear bench seats and I have seating for 8 and still enough cargo space for 18 sets of doubles (or 40 Al 80s), deco bottles and all the gear bags. Comfy enough to drive from here to Rimuski or the springs area. Power windows, seats, tilt, cruise, air and a great stereo. I can tow a 10,000 lb trailer if I need to really get serious.

Oh, did I mention the 498 CID big-block EFI? 80 mph over the West Virgina hills no problem. Locking diff and lots of ground clearance so it even goes off road OK.

OK - so it gets 10 to 13 mpg (less with the trailer) but I sure can carry the gear. You can almost stand up inside so it's really easy to load and unload.

I use a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 pick up with a shell. I can tow my boat and the 4 wheel drive comes in handy on some of the beaches and places I need to launch and retrieve the boat. The gear gets thrown in the back along with the fish and other game and I don't have to smell it on the way home. It get's good mileage and is a 300K mileage life span vehicle easy, as long as you take care of it.
Toyota rules!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom