Scuba-friendly automobile suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hybrid car, any size you wanted.
Someone told me I need to drive the car for 8-10 years before I get back the extra $ paid for the hybrid. However for my case, I drive around (besides work) a lot, like x2.

To me, it make a lot of sense, I don't know about the price for gas at your state, but in the future esp when you get a 4x4 or so, it's going to make a big difference. Station to station.

e.g. If I get the hybrid accord, the consumption is like a civic.

I drive a Mazda protege 5, it was great before I started diving. I find that I can fit my gear in fine but if there is someone else with me it is tight. If I am camping then it is really too small. By the time I jam everything in I can't see out the back. When I now go camping I borrow my mothers envoy which is wonderful on a long drive.

I looked at a few vehicles, non of which is a hybrid, I did some research on them and find they are not worth the money that they are asking for, no is the savings there.

I looked at the avalance, element (not really my cup of tea) The honda ridgline, the H3 and I can't remember what else. I narrowed out what I can get in Deseil, more money but you can go farther on the deseil. I have not decided yet but perhaps soon

alo100:
Hybrid car, any size you wanted.
Someone told me I need to drive the car for 8-10 years before I get back the extra $ paid for the hybrid. However for my case, I drive around (besides work) a lot, like x2.

To me, it make a lot of sense, I don't know about the price for gas at your state, but in the future esp when you get a 4x4 or so, it's going to make a big difference. Station to station.

e.g. If I get the hybrid accord, the consumption is like a civic.

Did you take into account the price of the batteries when they die? they will cost more than the car is worth. the auto industry has found a way to market disposable cars as enviromentally friendly.

I'm very partial to a Jeep Wrangler, but thats just me and because I don't do anything that I can't get in trouble doing (or so it seems).

I'm also partial to the Suburu Baja and VW Things :)

Then again you could get a Jeep Liberty diesel and make your own biodiesel for roughly $.80 a gal :)

CBulla:
Then again you could get a Jeep Liberty diesel and make your own biodiesel for roughly $.80 a gal :)

Unfortunately you can't get most diesel vehicles in Massachusetts

"The CRD engine does not meet the LEV II emission standards that became effective this year in California. As a result, the Liberty diesel will not be available in California or in other states that adopted California emission standards (Massachusetts, Maine, New York, Vermont)."

inter_alia:
This thread will likely quickly turn into a Ford-Chevy argument but I'll risk it.
I am in the market for a new car and since I've been in a Honda Civic (the antithesis of a scuba-friendly automobile, IMHO) for three years, I'm looking at better options. Never one to care much about what I drive (obviously), I should say appearance isn't my primary concern. Neither is an enormous engine or AWD. I want to haul tanks, gear, a friend or two and be as comfortable as possible when doing this.
As a starting point, I'm considering (oh no) the Honda Element. It's so ugly I can't resist but want to know if scubaboard has any suggestions.

Thanks!

I guess automobiles are like (*) opinions. Everybody has one.

We bought an Element, and I'm so glad. It carries on one trip: My kayak and gear, hang glider and gear, dive gear, camping gear for two, two retro bicycles and two grups. It's pretty much unphased by water inside and both floor and seats can be wiped down.

If you think my car is ugly, you probably haven't seen my ears.

I am waiting to see the new 4 door jeep wrangler TJ which is soon to hit the dealership. 4 doors with a soft top on a jeep with more room to boot. I am very intregiued about it.

Pontiac aztec. I love mine. 7 tanks, 3 dive bags, canopy, two folding chairs, my fiance's wheelchair and still have lots of room.

Does anybody know how dive friendly the Toyota FJ Cruiser is? Anybody got one???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom