Scuba Etiquette: Tipping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:hijackedthread:

OK, a bit of a twist in the orignal posters question, but what about tipping DM's who assist in-water with a class thru a LDS??

I've only been "tipped" a few times when helping out, and it is not expected on my part. Everything from cash to a case of beer and a bottle of rye. Those few times I've been tipped with cash occurred when the instructor(s) thanked the DMs at the end of the classes and told the students that the DM's help was all voluntary. The first time I was passed some cash surprised me all to heck and didn't really know what to do!

When it has happened I've just assumed that in the eyes of the folks that gave me the tip I must have done something to make an impression. The gesture certainly makes an impression on me when it happens.

I tip $10 per tank. Frankly, I've yet to dive with DMs aboard when it wasn't earned.

Last weekend I dived aboard the H2O Below with MBT Divers out of Pensacola, and our two DMs where well worth the little bit extra.

Don't cheat the next group of divers out of that little bit of extra service by trying to save a few bucks.

$5/tank per person would be a "bare minimum" tip in my mind. Keep in mind that boat DM's typically work exclusively for tips. (Just a statement of fact, no need to rehash the debate over whether that's how it should be.)

From what I have seen on boats not many people tip at all. My wife and I tip $10.00 per tank per day but that might be to much for some. A week or two of diving that number can add up. :D

Whats the deal on tipping? We are in Coz with a GREAT diver operator, small groups. Mostly just her and her captain on the boat with 5-6 divers, sometimes an extra DM. Nicest Dive boat I have seen in Coz. What is a "good" tip? Do I give it to her to share it out or her and the captain seperately? "We" are usually 4 divers and we are with her 5 days? (I'll post a report later.)

For really nice service, which I define as showing up on time, taking us somewhere cool, having tanks and weights ready, giving a nice briefing, supplying bottled water and not doing any "cowboy stunts" like surprising me with a single file swim through that opens up @ 150', we tip at least 20% (either cost of the dives, or cost of the boat if we rent the whole boat)

It sounds like a lot, but I've never met a crew member (captain, DM, etc.) that didn't work his butt off while living on close to nothing, so it's my little way of spreading a little extra happiness.

On the other hand, if they do anything that would be posted on SB as an Darwin Award Entry, try to kill a member of my party or sink the boat, they don't get anything.

While it's difficult to know exactly what's expected in all sorts of different cultures, I've never met anybody who was insulted by it (this doesn't mean it's not possible, I've just never seen it).

Terry

My wife and I tip $10.00 per tank per day...:D

On behalf of the rest of the crew of the Gypsy Blood, you and your wife are welcome to dive with us any time!

:D

Gypsy.jpg

Come Dive NJ! www.GypsyBloodDive.com

I tip 10-15% of the cost of the dive. I truly believe in rewarding good service, and I make no exception tipping even on the boat I have mated for in the past. Being buddies with the Captain and crew does not mean I can be a cheap skate, in my eyes at least. I am grateful for the help they give and times are hard for everyone, not just us Patrons!

I am glad I live in a country where tipping is not part of the culture! It sounds stressful to be trying to figure out who gets tipped and how much!

Though I'll be in the States next year and will be diving so will have to read up about it before then :wink:

I tip my boat crews, usually generously, so this is just an observation.

There is a constant effort to anchor people's perception of when, who, and how much to tip. The Starbucks has a tip cup out there, trying to get us to tip baristas as if they were waiters. In a similar vein, the appropriate tip in a NY restaurant has inflated from 15% to 20% or more, and the Aggressor will "suggest" a tip of 10% of a liveaboard's cost. We see the strategy on Scubaboard too, where divemasters and instructors line up to tell us that we should be tipping $10 a tank, or 20% of a charter price, in the hopes of getting more people to fork over $5 a tank, or 10% of a charter price. Tipping is a custom, not a rule, and I seem to be one of the few people who are tipping on the day boats I dive on (these days, all outside the United States). So when somebody on Scubaboard tells you what the usual or customary tip is and they happen to be a divemaster or an instructor or a charter boat operator, what they are probably telling you is what they would like the usual or customary tip to be.

Last edited:
So when somebody on Scubaboard tells you what the usual or customary tip is and they happen to be a divemaster or an instructor or a charter boat operator, what they are probably telling you is what they would like the usual or customary tip to be.

Sorry, no. If that were the case I'd be suggesting $50/tank.

:D

Sorry, no. If that were the case I'd be suggesting $50/tank. :D

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Let's get this straight. I spent in the neighborhood of $1500 to arrange airfare to be in Miami. Then there was gear costs (forget it, we all know what THAT is). Add to that hotel, rental car, gas, food (@$500). Top it off with about $100 for the day of diving, i.e. I HAVE GOT A LOT OF MONEY INVESTED TO GET WET HERE!!!! AND AFTER ALL THAT I am going to squabble over forking out $10-$20 to a crew that busts their collective tails to make my DIVE more memorable than the cost it took to make it happen??? :shakehead:

Hey, if at the end of the day, all I can talk about is what a great day I had instead of, "Man was THAT expensive!" It is worth $10-20!

I am one of the poorest men I know (monetarily speaking), yet $10-$20 isn't going to break the bank... On the other hand for the crew to receive that from every diver, makes a difference; a POSITIVE difference to them. Win-win.

Back
Top Bottom