SCUBA equipment charge on USA 3000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just read on their web site that they charge an additional $50, regardless of other checked bags for SCUBA gear. Does anyone know if they actually charge this? If I get all my gear and personal items in one bag, are they going to charge me this?

And will it be both ways?

Going to Dominican Republic, I carried on regs/mask/snorkel/computer and checked fins and wetsuit. Didn't own my own BC yet. Didn't get any additional charge. YMMV.

Also, you might consider whether Dive Caddy could be helpful; for me, I've found it worthwhile. Once you're past check-in, the TSA folks could care less about baggage charges.

Just put it in your regular bags and keep your mouth shut. What is in your suitcase is of no concern of the airline. As long as it does not excees their weight/size limit it's none of their business what is actually in the bag, that is security's problem and they don't care as long as it's not a prohibited item. Almost every airline has an extra charge for scuba gear but it really comes from the days when some sporting gear did not count as luggage...a golf bag was free and not part of your 2 bag limit for example.

Thanks for the replies. I guess no one who read this ever had to pay it.

Just put it in your regular bags and keep your mouth shut. What is in your suitcase is of no concern of the airline. As long as it does not excees their weight/size limit it's none of their business what is actually in the bag, that is security's problem and they don't care as long as it's not a prohibited item. Almost every airline has an extra charge for scuba gear but it really comes from the days when some sporting gear did not count as luggage...a golf bag was free and not part of your 2 bag limit for example.

Not to be argumentative, but almost all airlines either x-ray or open all checked luggage at the check-in counter. Even though the search is TSA wouldn't the guys/gals working there be aware of this fee and if so wouldn't they demand it?

I think it sucks, but I would be ready to pay just in case.

After flying out of Miami (worlds headquarters for luggage theft) for many years I learned a long time ago your gear is safer in a normal (hard) suitcase than a divebag.

all airlines have a statement about scuba gear.... what they mean is scuba tanks, rebreathers, etc. They are not referring to BCs, fins, masks which thousands of divers travel with in bags every day of the week. I have never heard of anyone getting "charged" for dive gear, although this gets brought up here on SB at least once every 6 months.

:D

all airlines have a statement about scuba gear.... what they mean is scuba tanks, rebreathers, etc. They are not referring to BCs, fins, masks which thousands of divers travel with in bags every day of the week. I have never heard of anyone getting "charged" for dive gear, although this gets brought up here on SB at least once every 6 months.

:D

Sorry about the repeat of this.

Not to be argumentative, but almost all airlines either x-ray or open all checked luggage at the check-in counter. Even though the search is TSA wouldn't the guys/gals working there be aware of this fee and if so wouldn't they demand it?

After flying out of Miami (worlds headquarters for luggage theft) for many years I learned a long time ago your gear is safer in a normal (hard) suitcase than a divebag.

The counter people aren't involved in the x-ray process at all. I've NEVER seen an airline agent do more than weigh the bag, put the sticker on it, and set it back behind them.

Never had an airline request to open a bag, all they care about is over weight and to my knowledge no airline x-rays any bags, way to costly for finding "extra charge" times. The TSA or local airport security do the x-raying and are not connected with any airline. And unlike the ticket agents, their job is not to nickle and dime customers with BS fees. As long as it's not a prohibited item they could care less. Carrying scuba gear I often have mine opened by TSA, I find a nice little note telling me they did, but never have had anything removed.

I guess you're thinking the TSA or other countries' security agents who do x-ray and open bags will tell the airline agents? Nah.
Sorry about the repeat of this.
No problem. It's good to review anyway.

Continental has a huge charge for scuba tanks so I never tell them about my 19cf pony inside. They disallow liabilities on scuba gear anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom