Scuba divers and their aquariums..let's see them..here's mine.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I live right on the ocean, my aquarium is billions of gallons in size and contains all sorts of temperate and occasionally subtropical critters. I get to see them as often as I want and don't even have to feed them!

Come on let's see some more tanks!

????

stangscuba98a:
nobody has aquariums in their house?
My husband wants to get one, I just see it as something else I would have to take care of.

here are our "kids" - they like to eat fish...does that count?
21830319-M.jpg

I DO start volunteering at the Biggest Aquarium in the World in 2 weeks though.
Woo Hoo!!! Here's to getting on the dive team!!:yelclap:

Yes, the picture of my tank is full of all real corals, anemones and other goodies. Many of the corals I have now(SPS or stone like acroporas) are tank raised and I prefer to buy or trade corals from friends so they don't come directly from the wild. My anemones for instance are only 2nd generation but I have many friends with anemones that are about 30 or 40th generation. I live close to LAX in Los Angeles wich is where most all corals come before being distributed through out the US. We get people cherry picking and you would flip if you saw some of my friends reef tanks.
heres one pic, my buddy had a major clam spawning which ended up almost wiping out everything (well over a thousand gallon setup) its just now starting to come back to color.
400g_May_06_Lrg.jpg

WOW, can I dive there :)

Very cool tank, I also would like to do a double tank there.....

I was "deep" into saltwater tanks for years and there used to be this guy called Mr4000. He built a 4000 gallon tank out of concrete in his basement and had to dive in it to keep it clean.

Check out post #8 of the following link:

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34510

His picture is there. There is also a link to a website with additional photos, but it's in German. He dismantled his English website shortly after the warmth and humidity of the tank rotted out the joists and floor above and caused a massive mold outbreak in his home.

Saltwater tanks are a thing of beauty, but they require a very large commitment, both of time and money. I kept a 65 gallon tank for 5 years and lost one fish (suicide) and few shrimp (predators). I ended up selling it and a friend still has it going. I still miss my urchin and having a piece of the ocean in my living room. Here's what it used to look like:

http://mysite.verizon.net/collierp/Tank.jpg

I spent 3 months planning and $2K and another 3 months putting it all together. I even built the cabinet and hood myself. I had a good plan and used good equipment so I believe I had fewer problems than most. Some people have ethical concerns about these tanks, so I thought I should be extra careful and responsible.

It was my saltwater/reef aquarium that got me into this mess...errr...diving in the first place. I finally came to the realization (even without my wife's assistance) that I couldn't afford both the aquarium and diving so I sold off all my aquarium equipment. I don't know how you reef-keepers do it (and save for retirement too).

-- Dan

mauigal:
......here are our "kids" - they like to eat fish...does that count?....

As long as this thread has gone to the cats, let me include the next level of my home bound food chain.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom