Scuba diver goes missing off Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they have called off the search officially, will there be others mounting a search for the body?

I understand sometimes those who are trained for greater depth will make a dive to help find closure for the family.

The search for Ms. Silver-Valker has not been called off by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, nor other agencies that are also assisting in the underwater search efforts, which include the Los Angeles County Fire Department and Baywatch Lifeguards. Divers assigned to the above agencies suspended the underwater search late this afternoon, and will be returning to Catalina Island tomorrow morning (December 31, 2015) to continue the search efforts. This response was posted because wrong information about search efforts can be hurtful to the victim's family and friends.

Sergeant David Carver
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
Special Enforcement Bureau - Emergency Services Detail

.....Ship Rock has very steep drop-offs. I used to dive there to 200 fsw frequently and I wasn't hitting rock bottom by a long shot. .....
I am looking at the 3D map of Ship Rock and less than 100 yards North East of the Rock I see depth > 300ft.
If you move another 100 yard East you get in the 500s

A prayer for Laurel.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Thank you for that post, Sergeant.

Last night after the memorial for dive instructor Tim Mitchell and Bruce Ryder, I spoke with our Asst Harbor Master about this. He said that the search-and-rescue effort had been suspended but that a recovery effort was on-going. Initial statements about that seemed to suggest that Laurel's body had been located and was being retrieved, but according to the AHM it has not so the search continues.

I agree with Ken except that age CAN be a factor in any SCUBA incident.

The search for Ms. Silver-Valker has not been called off by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, nor other agencies that are also assisting in the underwater search efforts, which include the Los Angeles County Fire Department and Baywatch Lifeguards. Divers assigned to the above agencies suspended the underwater search late this afternoon, and will be returning to Catalina Island tomorrow morning (December 31, 2015) to continue the search efforts. This response was posted because wrong information about search efforts can be hurtful to the victim's family and friends.

Sergeant David Carver
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
Special Enforcement Bureau - Emergency Services Detail

Last edited:
Wonderful news! Shame on me for believing the media.

Any news on this incident or is the investigation ongoing?
The topography sounds pretty hard to search with divers but isn't it possible to scan the bottom?

Yikes, not good. Was this a shop trip or a boat trip (not that it makes much of a difference....)

That is simply terrifying. I've only dove off a few boats and they always did role call with eye contact. If she was not a "paying" customer and volunteering on the boat is it normal to not count crew? I can't imagine that would be acceptable to anyone who crews on boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom