Scuba diver goes missing off Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of right now (7:45am day after reported missing) there are 5-6 articles online and about half say she was a 28-yr old, half say she was 45-yr old. Anyone know more?

I've never dove Ship Rock but it looks like it has a few reefs ranging from 20 to 130 ft. with steep drops, currents, and a wide area to search.

:(

If this ends with Laurel's death, that will be two dive friends who we've lost diving off Catalina in two successive weekends. I certainly hope this has a better outcome.

If Laurel was 28 (as I've read), I'd be very shocked.

Ship Rock has very steep drop-offs. I used to dive there to 200 fsw frequently and I wasn't hitting rock bottom by a long shot. One of my favorite island dive sites (second to Farnsworth Bank)

I do hope for a good outcome. ship rock is my favorite dive site, it can be a shallow or deep dive. I always do two laps around the rock, one at about 45-50' and the second go around at 35-40'. VIS always seem to be quite good there, at least all the times I have dove it.

Laurel is not 28...she's a grandmother. A young grandmother, but defintely not 28. Her son posted on FB that they have called the search. It's is impossible to believe such a bright and shining star is gone.

I have never asked her her age - she was certainly closer to 28 than 45 which another news account stated- I remember our last dive together during the summer of 2015 at Farnsworth. She had recently returned from the Galapagos and shared a ton of pictures during the transit from Alamitos Bay to the Backside -

This is really awful - she was one of us (crew) Really, really upset

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom