Scuba diver dies after being found floating at Kurnell, NSW, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sadly I was gone due to work and missed quite a few posts... So please bear with me

Re using a computer other than Marcia's to calculate air consumption, this is easily possible as she had to have been within a half metre or so of the other divers in depth for the whole dive due to the nature of the dive site. Therefore, the figures I posted before are going to be accurate enough, it is just not knowing when she ran out of air that will affect the figures I gave.

I do agree with you, on some points.
1) Using a Computer other than Queros to calculate air consumption is easily posible. Provided we have two Known variables to work from in which to prove the unknown variable. (Math requires two points of reference to create the third)
2) Not knowing when she actually ran out of air drematically effects the results (Especially when one is trying to prove she would run out of air to begin with.)
3) The figures you previously posted in post 625 will be acurate enough for Theorizing

Let us Agree that all your math was accurate, I will concede every aspect of that and defer to your personal knowledge of the dive location, as I have never personally been there. I will also attest that you know your own personal air consumption better than any other person could.
The information we have (aka the two known variables to measure) Depth of that similar to the other dive buddies computer. And at the time on surface she had 50bar

Your math concluded (based on your air consumption) that when she surfaced she would have had 15-20bar which would have read as 25-30bar (Because the gauge reads 10bar at empty) you conclusion was that she guessed at the reading of 50bar, and therefore did not have enough air left and was destined to run out during the dive. Great Hypothesis, however when you chose to ignore the 50bar variable (our only other known variable for Queros dive) your data stoped reflecting her dive and the Known variable became the air consumption of our substituted diver. Therfore the conclusion that the substitute diver would have likely run out of air on that dive is not necisarily "accurate enough" to prove Qeuro would have run out of air.

If we were not trying to prove she did, but merely if she might have. Then only half the math is done.

When we conclude that using your air consumption rates when she surfaced you would have had 15-20bar Which would have read at 25-30bar, we know she said she was at 50bar. To get as close of an accurate calculation as posible we need to take that statement to be true (not a guess on her part) so with faulty readings of 10bar discrepency as our margine of error that means she had arround 40bar. Whats the mathimatical conclusion? Regardless of what we would expect, she has better air consumption than our substitute diver.

Now because you didnt actually show your numbers for your math I cant calculate what Queros air consumption would have been. So we will allow for a margine of error, your conclusion was our substitute diver would have likely run out between her surface point and the beach, but allowing for the 10-20bar discrepancy she could have run out between the beach and the car.

I stand by my statement we cannot "accuratly" calculate this with another persons dive computer and a different divers Air consumption. We both used the same math to prove she would have run out of air somewhere between the point she Surfaced and the Car, that is a HUGE margine of error. When we substitute our guesses for Facts, no matter how scentific our math may appear, it is still Theory and Guessing not Fact which is why access to Queros dive computer is so important. Without it we can keep substituting information untill it proves our preconceived picture of what occured which is not Investigation.... its Storytelling.

If I were investigating this, had acess to one of the Dive Computers, and I honestly wanted to know if Quero would likely have run out of Air. I would calculate the Distance from Surfacing to the beach, use the substitute divers Air consumption rate and then see if It could be done on 40-50bar worth of Air. It wouldn't be as impressive as calculating the entire dive, but it would be easier and produce as accurate results.

I do admit different people have access to different information, being as some people on scuba board are friends and family of the divers involved. It seems to me the Mods like Diver0001 have done a great job at relaying information from All Three Divers, I am sure they are as careful as posible to include info All Three Divers agree to be true, or only information that the specific divers were imediatly present for. I as many others are, am very curious to see what your Theorys are regarding the events of that day based on the information you have. As you stated earlier you have spoken to One Diver yourself.

Disappointing, but expected, that the additional informaiton from the dive group has not been made available. Appears we have all the information we are going to have and posters can continue to post their unsubstantiated hypotheses.

While I Do agree that the only new information will be hypotheses and nothing overly substantiated untill the police report is released.

I have to also agree with gysyjim as well.....

nonononono.gif
Additional information HAS been posted, as it became available.

I personally made a post a couple of pages earlier to Clarify exactly what "Credible" information has come forward.

I really hope that we will get a chance to see the "Official Report" from the individuals who have ALL the Facts. Including the Police Interviews of all the divers, and the Autopsy Reports, as well as the Gear Including HER Dive Computer. Truth is we may never get the opportunity to see much more information than was already posted. So as it sits we have likely learned as much as possible from this event. (this is evident as two people have posted theories or statements that have already been hashed out) Personally I feel this thread has reached the point where everyone can finally move on, start to finalise the healing process. It has greatly helped many people come to terms with the Shock of this tragic event. Here is hoping we can all finally put this behind us.

nevermind.

Last edited:
Mostly Harmless, I do know what I am doing when I work out these things. You can search for my other posts and will find I do have some acknowledged expertise in this area (by a court of one of the states of your big neighbour at the minimum).

In addition, as I have stated before, I have access to much information that has not yet been released on this web site. At this stage, I am not in a position to release this information due to commitments I have made to those involved in the accident. I can saw that where inaccurate information/guesses were posted in this thread, they have been refuted by myself or others.

As I stated, the figures I quoted about air consumption are not exact, we do not know when Marcia stopped breathing. The only reason I put the details up were to show that it was somewhat inevitable that she was going to run out of air. By my calculation, assuming an RMV of about 13 litres per minute (based on 220 bar and running out before the end of the computer profile I am using), she would have had to have at least 20 bar when she descended again to have made it to shore with a totally empty tank. Make it 25 bar to ensure her reg was still working as well as again putting more air in her BCD. Therefore, with the inaccuracy of 10 bar, then if she had less than 35 bar she was going to run out.

My supposition was that when asked how much air she had, she did not look at her gauge but just gave an answer based on what she last saw. I do not find this unusual, I probably would do it myself.

Since it is my understanding that when found by the first diver, Marcia was lying on her back, and the regulator was not in her mouth, we have no idea if she ran out of air at all.
If any of the other medical issues discussed actually are the cause, the regulator could simply have free flowed. Air consumption rate becomes moot, and would remain unknown.
Also, I heard that the 10 bar reading on Quero's gauge was after the accident, when it had been laying in the hot sun for some time.

The regulator, when finally released should provide clues to it's accuracy that we lack now.

In other words we are still being entertained by pure speculation, based on unsubstantiated " information", and "playing detective" with facts that quite possibly had no bearing whatsoever on the fatality.

The summary is reasonably accurate, although there is other information that some of us are privy to that has not been included. I still hope to be able to post a full and detailed description of what happened.

Disappointing, but expected, that the additional informaiton from the dive group has not been made available. Appears we have all the information we are going to have and posters can continue to post their unsubstantiated hypotheses.

????????????

:no: Additional information HAS been posted, as it became available.

Also, as explained earlier any official determinations by the government investigations can take an extremely long time, as can the release of the gear, IF it ever happens at all.

I was referring to the additional information mentioned by clownfishsydney, above, and previously in the thread. I don't think I need to be reprimanded for my post

I have not read the previous 77 pages of this thread. Have there been any real answers yet from the authorities?

I have not read the previous 77 pages of this thread. Have there been any real answers yet from the authorities?

Nope.

Nope. And let's be honest here. It would be more than a little unusual if there had been.

Not only have "the authorities" not released any real answers, (even if and/or when they do) such police investigations often take a very long time, and there is no guarantee that those "answers" will provide any true answers to the how/why/what questions that we in the diving world would wish to see.

Often such investigations only "eliminate" some causes, and can provide only a general idea of what "might" have happened.

I was referring to the additional information mentioned by clownfishsydney, above, and previously in the thread. I don't think I need to be reprimanded for my post

Not only have "the authorities" not released any real answers, (even if and/or when they do) such police investigations often take a very long time, and there is no guarantee that those "answers" will provide any true answers to the how/why/what questions that we in the diving world would wish to see.

Often such investigations only "eliminate" some causes, and can provide only a general idea of what "might" have happened.

Thanks for the apology, see previous post

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom