scuba diver body found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmm, let's try this again. The inlet has great winter diving either by boat or by shore. I'm sure the authorities will let us know what happened in this particular instance. Cates Park is a nice shallow training site, great to use when the weather is bad especially in Whytcliff Park. Cates is also a great place to go crabbing on a night dive!

Posting article to keep thread relevant

[h=1]Decomposing scuba diver body found in North Vancouver[/h]
[h=5]The Canadian Press[/h][h=4]Posted: Oct 23, 2011 4:26 PM PT[/h][h=4]Last Updated: Oct 23, 2011 4:23 PM PT[/h]
RCMP are investigating after a decomposing body wearing a wetsuit and scuba gear was found in waters near a North Vancouver park.

RCMP Cpl. Richard De Jong said two fishermen came across the body Sunday morning while pulling up a crab trap in the Burrard Inlet.

He says it's evident the body has been there for some time and police couldn't immediately identify if it was a man or a woman.
The fishermen removed the body and called police, who sent in a dive team to scour for more clues under the surface.

The B.C. Coroner has been called

***MOD POST***

A number of off-topic, argumentative or personal posts have been deleted or edited. Let's please keep this on the topic of the found diver, and any pertinent history of accidents in the area.

There are seven billion people on the planet who are in a constant state of coming and going. It's a tragedy to the family and close personal friends but interesting to me.

I seem to remember a story of some divers finding a body sitting on a ledge deep on the Cut at Whitecliffe but when they returned for recovery, it was gone. I think that was a long time ago though.

Here it is: H2O Madness Adventures - Technical Scuba Diving Educators The divers name was Dave and he went missing in 1996.

Something tells me it wasn't him...

One article said they thought it could have been in the water for a year or so. I tried search A&I for missing divers in Puget but none in the last two years that weren't found.

Sad to hear. Hopefully it will bring some closure and peace to a family.

Was up there doing some diving in neaby Indian Arm on Saturday.

A friend disappeared from the park there a number of years ago. Do not know if he was diving or not but was last seen on his boat at the dock there. Do not remember him having a wet suit.

Diver wasn't found in Puget Sound. Look up Howe Sound and Indian Arm, which is off the Georgia Strait. In Canada. HTH.

Just hot off the press this afternoon. Police are looking into a possible link to an unsolved missing diver case back in 2009. The diver went missing somewhere off Orcas Island, WA.

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - While the identity of a scuba diver pulled from the Burrard Inlet remains a mystery, there is an unsolved diving case out of Orcas Island dating back to 2009.

A 40-year-old Bellingham man went diving with a friend one August afternoon and never resurfaced. His name is Michael Scherner, described as a very experienced former navy diver. Although North Vancouver RCMP still don't know if the body they are dealing with is a man or a woman, they say it has been in the water for months or even years.

If it is the Bellingham man it would mean closure for Maria Laing who now lives in North West Ohio. "It would be nice if that was the case, it would be good to know...to be able to bury him."

Sherner was an experienced former navy diver and it is his mother's understanding that he went out one day with a group of people but decided to stay back after everyone left and never resurfaced.

Mounties and the San Juan County Sheriff's Office are now comparing notes, says Sheriff Rob Nou. "We kind of shared some of the information as far as equipment and things that our victim was wearing when he went missing. [That] may help them identify the remains discovered."

He adds things can get very difficult when victims have been underwater for a long period of time. "Very tough to date those remains, the natural decomposition and the things in the water as well."

A great deal of time and resources were devoted to locating Scherner, but his body has never been found. If the body doesn't turn out to be Scherner, Nou says at least they can make a determination one way or another.

joe and before that a gal went missing on the south end of sanjuans, its not hard to believe that current can take things that far underwater.

Back
Top Bottom