scuba diver body found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the news today:

Dead scuba diver had been missing 26 years - Canada - Canoe.ca

Dead scuba diver had been missing 26 years

By Michael Mui, QMI Agency

VANCOUVER -- It had been 26 years since anyone last laid eyes on well-known wheelchair scuba diver Peter Devoe, who failed to resurface after a 1985 family dive at Cates Park in North Vancouver.

Devoe, who was 29 when he disappeared, was finally recovered in the Burrard Inlet by a pair of commercial fishers in October.

Coroners said Wednesday they identified his remains by the jewelry he wore and telltale marks on his bones from a car accident.

His body was surprisingly well-preserved within his full-body scuba suit, despite floating in the inlet for almost three decades. His remains were found just west of where he vanished during a dive with his brother on March 13, 1985.

His body never floated out of the bay, and was anchored down in the calm waters by his weighty equipment, Coroner Stephen Fonseca said.

Speaking from her home, Robin Devoe recalled the day her brother-in-law went missing after heading out for a dive with her husband.

“Peter just never came up,” she said. “It hasn’t hit home yet. He was a great person, he competed in wheelchair sports, was really concerned about other people in wheelchairs.”

She said Devoe founded a 20-member wheelchair scuba diving club in 1983, and helped others with disabilities discover a new way to enjoy life.

“For somebody with spinal cord injuries, it’s the freedom of being away from a wheelchair,” she said.

Kathy Newman, executive director of the B.C. Wheelchair Sports Association, recalled her first meeting with the athlete three decades ago.

“He was like a role model for other people that wanted to get involved in wheelchair sports,” she said, adding Devoe was admired for his endless support to sports for youth with disabilities.

“That’s why we decided naming the Peter Devoe Memorial Award after him,” Newman said of the scholarship fund that was established the same year Devoe went missing.

“He was a fantastic person.”

Last edited:
My Uncle Pete was the most amazing, caring and loving man I ever knew. He was taken from me when I was just a little girl and have missed him every single day since. After 26 years of wondering where he was, fishermen found his body. We had a good feeling it was him but was confirmed today. They didn't have to perform DNA samples due to evidence that was found with his body and pictures provided to the coroner.

I will always love and miss my uncle, he was the best ever! I've looked through many news articles and this is the best one. Dead scuba diver had been missing 26 years | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Thank you to all out there with nice and encouraging words. God bless you all.

Wow, that is super news.

I'm still curious about this, but I'm sure this is a special time for your family.

Hi DandyDan, he was in a car accident on July 19, 1978 that left him paraplegic. It was after that when he learned how to dive and also did many other sports. He didn't let his disability stop him at all. The world could have learned a lot from him and to never give up no matter how tough you think it is.

Here is a link to an article printed in the Macleans magazine of my Uncle Pete. The journalist did a wonderful job on it. The picture is very old, my dad thinks he was only 18 or 19 at the time. Peter Devoe - The End - Macleans.ca
Great article. Thanks for sharing...!!

Wow....Thank you for joining us.. I hope you family can feel a finality now..But just imagine how much freedom & joy diving gave him. I just can't believe it....27 years....

Back
Top Bottom