Scuba Club Cozumel ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmp

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, I am going to preface this by saying I am going to ask alot of questions, But it is better to be informed than not, correct? So, with that out of the way I was wondering I have read several rave reviews about SCC, but their website is sparse and does not provide a ton of information or pics of the proeprty itself. I am sure it appears to be your standard dive oriented resort which is fine - I dont need TV, cable or other crazy amenities - I am there to dive.

So,

Are the rooms clean?
Are bathrooms located within the rooms?? I have read some posts the imply they are NOT??
How about the food, is it all buffet style and how is the quality??
How is the dive shop location in relation to the primary sites used - are they close?? I just done want a hour boat ride each day
How about the operation itself, how many people do they put on the boats small or large groups??
Do they allow you to dive your computer or are you given a dive profile / time by DM or Captn?

Diving:

Is there a difference between North Vs South sites??
What is the Viz like and water temp in Jan?
How about the current - is it all drift diving?? Or is there the ability on some sites to float on/at the reef??

Does anyone have any PICS or the resort and/or the rooms??

Any help would be great - I am looking at January for a short trip to fill my itch. For as close as I am to Coz I have yet to bring myself to go there.

Thanks to all in advance TMP
:D

Diving:

Is there a difference between North Vs South sites??
What is the Viz like and water temp in Jan?
How about the current - is it all drift diving?? Or is there the ability on some sites to float on/at the reef??

Does anyone have any PICS or the resort and/or the rooms??

Any help would be great - I am looking at January for a short trip to fill my itch. For as close as I am to Coz I have yet to bring myself to go there.

Thanks to all in advance TMP
:D

I will take the easy ones:
1. The most common sites are all south more or less. Up north are some more advances spots.
2. Awesome. (similar to Feb, Mar, Apr, most of may, lots of June, etc etc...) Temp worst case water temp might slip to 78?
3. It is all drift. Sometimes that can be kinda quick. More often it isn't a big deal; you just don't have to do the swimming. Why swim when you can ride the drift?

---------- Post added November 25th, 2012 at 11:13 PM ----------

- I am looking at January for a short trip to fill my itch. For as close as I am to Coz I have yet to bring myself to go there.

Be careful about this line of thinkin'. One trip to Coz and the addiction sets in. You will be steal the neighbor's TV while they are at work for you next Coz fix. Seriously, H is a sissy by comparison....

We have been twice, 2009 and 2010. Will return for certain. Here goes.

Are the rooms clean? Yes, the maid service is very good.
Are bathrooms located within the rooms?? Yes. Nice bathrooms.
How about the food, is it all buffet style and how is the quality?? No. You order from a (limited) menu. The food is very good.
How is the dive shop location in relation to the primary sites used - are they close?? I just done want a hour boat ride each day. Most of the better sites are to the south. The boats are very comfortable but not the fastest. As I recall, most were 30-40 minute rides out.
How about the operation itself, how many people do they put on the boats small or large groups?? Depends, but 8-10 divers with a DM for 4-6 divers.
Do they allow you to dive your computer or are you given a dive profile / time by DM or Captn? Dive profile set by the DM.

Diving:

Is there a difference between North Vs South sites?? Most are to the south where the better diving is.
What is the Viz like and water temp in Jan? Don't know. We were there in May and June.
Usually all drift diving.
Does anyone have any PICS or the resort and/or the rooms?? I do and will try to upload a few.

Reactions: tmp
Here are a few photos from our previous trips to SCC in 2009 and 2010. Captions from top left clockwise.
1. View from our room #59.
2. Looking across the pool to the ocean in the evening.
3. From the pier looking back to the resort.
4. In front of one of the dive boats.
5. Looking at at the pier and dive boats.
6. From the water back at resort with room #59 on the top floor.
7. View from inside room #59. Bathroom is behind the photographer.

Attachments

• DSC01073.jpg
    DSC01073.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC01084.jpg
    DSC01084.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC01095.jpg
    DSC01095.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC01108.jpg
    DSC01108.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC01109.jpg
    DSC01109.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 157
  • SCC #59.jpg
    SCC #59.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: tmp
I really liked the place and will definitely go back.

Rooms are very clean.
Where in the world did you hear they didn't have bathrooms in the rooms? Very clean, nice big shower.
Buffet at breakfast but served on your plate as you request. Select your dinner choice in the morning. Lunch and dinner served to you at the table. I liked every meal.
Dive sites were a ways off. Go to furthest one first and then come back toward hotel for second dive. Many boats of different sizes and speed. Some of the sites were about an hour to get the first dive in. On the plus side, you are closer to town, can certainly walk there.
Group was 8 divers. Two groups on the Reef Diver.
DM set the profile, however at the time, I used my air the fastest. He let me deploy my SMB, ascend and do my safety stop while the group continued.

Only dove south...
No ideas about Jan. I was there in August and the water was 84 at 90'! Vis was fantastic.
It is ALL drift diving. Just kick back and watch the world go by.

DSCN0246.jpgDSCN0247.jpgDSCN0248.jpgDSCN0249.jpgDSCN0263.jpgDSCN0264.jpgDSCN0267.jpgCozumel Room.jpg

One caveat: Although it's all drift diving, the current varies from site to site and day to day. At Colombia Shallows (which I highly recommend), though, there is usually very little current, and coupled with its shallowness (20-30') it makes for a lot of leisurely hang time on the reef. Bring your camera and/or magnifying glass.

I doubt if you can find cleaner, better serviced rooms on the island. One problem with SCC is they have some really great rooms (locations) which are what you see pictured with ocean view; and they have some, lets say, less desirable rooms with little or no view so don't be surprised if your room does not look like the pictures. Repeat guests seem to have an edge on the better rooms but it also helps top make your reservations early.

Boats are big and slow which also means stable, roomy, and comfortable. It is very unlikely you can get them to go to the northern or distant southern sites. You will also have a hard time getting them to do Columbia Shallows which is unfortunate. But their shore dive is great (for Cozumel). I suggest you plan a shore dive almost every afternoon and night.

Enjoy.

You won't be disappointed with SCC. The resort is completely enclosed (secure), clean, well maintained. Our room had no view, but we were only there to sleep. Racks for wet gear outside of the rooms.

The shore diving is OK, no reef but plenty of small stuff in the rocks. Not as good as Bonaire or Roatan.

My only issue with Cozumel in general is that most packages are set up for two boat dives a day. I prefer more diving on my trips. With the somewhat limited shore diving, other places give more diving opportunities. Cozumel still has the best visibility I have seen.

Read my trip reports and PM me if you have any more questions.

Jim's Web Page

If you are going to Cozumel to dive, then SCC is the place for you. We've been vacationing there for over twenty years and love it.

If you can get 6-8 experienced divers together, you can dive Barracuda/San Juan (advanced northern sites). Been there, done that, prefer shallow reefs with lots of fish. Save this for your return trip when you have more time at SCC...two weeks? :)

If can get the divers on your boat to agree, you can request Colombia Shallows (far south and a long run there and back). The DMs and dive shop will bend over backwards to accommodate your requests. Remember, you are going during the El Norte season and conditions may not be optimal on some days. I suggest, just relax and let the dive guides choose.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2012 at 07:15 AM ----------

I forgot to add, wreck dive, night dive, and two-tank twilight boat dives are offered if enough people sign up. These dives are additional and not included in your package.

If you can get 6-8 experienced divers together, you can dive Barracuda/San Juan (advanced northern sites). Been there, done that, prefer shallow reefs with lots of fish. Save this for your return trip when you have more time at SCC...two weeks? :)

If can get the divers on your boat to agree, you can request Colombia Shallows (far south and a long run there and back). The DMs and dive shop will bend over backwards to accommodate your requests. Remember, you are going during the El Norte season and conditions may not be optimal on some days. I suggest, just relax and let the dive guides choose.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2012 at 07:15 AM ---------

Maybe, maybe not. I was there a couple weeks ago and after 4 days a DM suggested our group of 8 divers could do Barracuda on the 6th day. When I went to sign up (and pay) for the 6th day of diving, I was told at the shop to wait until the next day (yellow flag). On the next day, I was told that Barracuda would cost extra (red flag). No problem, I was ready to pay. Then I was told that one of the divers would not pay extra so we could not go. So I offered to pay the up-charge. Well, next story: Their insurance only covers the marine park!!! I pointed out that we did Villa Blanc which is also not part of the park. Then the story evolved to they had a problem at Barracuda a couple weeks before so they did not want to go. Bending over backwards was hardly the case.

My previous trip their a few years ago I suggested we do Columbia Shallows as a first dive. They do not want to do Columbia Shallows as a 2nd dive because they like to slowly motor north after the 1st dive to save time. The DM told everybody that Columbia Shallows had been badly damaged by the hurricanes and was no good. Since I had dove there only a couple months prior (and after the hurricanes) I asked if they had had another storm in the last few months. Well the DM was not happy but we did Columbia Shallows but with a 1 hour limit on bottom time. BTW, that incident is why I had not been back to SCC in quite a few years.

If you want to do the most southern and/or most northern reefs, I suggest staying elsewhere and diving with one of the better small operation. Or make the trip with Jim when he brings a large group down once or twice a year. Maybe they will bend over backwards if you are bringing them enough business.

But there is a whole lot to like about SCC and I will go back again (after I dive Barracuda with some other op). Just don't go there thinking they are perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom