Scuba Club Cozumel closing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't imagine that the closing will be permanent. It is in a prime location and it has a built in customer base. Someone is bound to buy it.

We can only hope so. The big issue is can the employees do OK until a new owner, or are going to move on. Many of them, like Geiser has been their for 34 years...

We can only hope so. The big issue is can the employees do OK until a new owner, or are going to move on. Many of them, like Geiser has been their for 34 years...
Some of my favorite DMs ever. This is really upsetting.

This is really upsetting.
I feel your pain. My family has been staying at what is now Blue Angel for more than 40 years, through five names and owners. Every time it was sold we wondered if our run was over.

I am sorry to hear of it's closing. Not to sound too opportunistic, but does anyone know if it is up for sale, and if so, how much? I sense an opportunity to put together an investment group of divers to aquire the assets and be part owner of a dive resort. 😎

you should go after a resort in fiji instead. better diving and direct non-stop flights from LAX/SFO.
If I were in a position to participate in buying a dive resort, it would be in Cozumel instead of Fiji. I can leave the house at 7AM and be diving Cozumel in the afternoon. Fiji, not so much.

@ggunn because you live in texass. For Cali, direct flight from SFO or lax is same duration as a one stop to coz (no non stops). You leave at night and sleep on the plane and you touch down in Fiji at 6 am and diving after lunch if your resort isn't too far from nadi.

@ggunn because you live in texas
Of course, but also the idea of buying it was proposed by someone who specifically loves SCC and wants to see it continue. Incidentally, that person is a California resident.

I just heard that Scuba Club Cozumel is closing as of August 31 - not just for September but all dates beyond.

We are really bummed. We've been going to SCC every year for over thirty years. Our home away from home.

Very sad.
Me, the instructors at my shop and our customers liked it alot when it was Galapago Inn. Myself and another dive shop owner/instructor did a last minute trip for a week in January 2024 and another week at Chinchorro Reef at the Mexico / Belize border. We went to spread another friend's ashes as his last wishes. We had been going to other hotels and beach homes for the last 15+ years and diving with 'Dive with Martin', 'Aldora Divers' and Costa Maya Charters when Rollie was still open. SCC was awful in January of 2024. The service and food was aweful and limited.in the afternoon. We were crammed on boats like cattle and we couldn't even pay to do an extra 2 afternoon dives. Only shore dives were available to us. There were 50+ divers from the Villages in Central Florida for part of our time there and they all had issues with their rooms, clean rooms but in disrepair. The food servers and bartenders were horrible. Their dining area was no longer open after lunch. The person working the bar was always on his phone and did not want to be bothered serving us beer. In hindsight, they must have known there were problems. The older dive shop guys were good and I rememebered from long ago. The rest were rude or lazy. Boat boys were each expecting tips after they ignored us every day. We tipped the staff we liked well but the place was in great need of repair. I think it is best they're closing. Most of Cozumel shuts down when the last cruise ship leaves port.
Cozumel used to be a great place. I used to live at Punta Sur, Devils Throat and Maricaibo to the south and the great Barracuda Drift dive to the north, which has not been dove by tourists since the late 80s or early 90s. They cater to newbies now I believe. For those that knew the Cozumel of the 80s and 90s. Back in the day of La Ceiba, Scuba Hut, Carlos and Charlies, etc... save your time and pick somewhere else.

if you must go the best restaraunt that is still open and thriving is La Choza by far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom