Scuba Certification Rip Off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure if I should post the instructors name. I dont' know if that is very nice. I guess he has not really been nice to me though. :(

Alright then, the guys name is Mike Johnson from Brockville Ontario. I hope that helps other people. Maybe people that have taken a course from him and are still waiting there certification.

I also know that my one friend took a course from another intructor working for him and he has not got his card yet either.

Hi Fish Bowl

I don't live far from you and I did my OW at Prescott just in the middle of may.... I just got a call that my card has arrived and it ready for pick-up. I guess PADI can be pretty fast if the instructor gets all the proper forms sent in. I hope all gets sorted out for you.

Bubblemaker_ontario

collect all the people who are waiting for their certs from this guy and go find a decent sympathetic instructor from another shop willing to do an accellerated and reduced-rate OW class to get you all your certs. the benefit to the instructor is that they get 22 new students who will likely to go on to AOW and other courses in the future.

If you've got 22 people and they all paid say $300 (probably paid more), then that's fraud over $5000 and could get him jail time. I'd round up written statements from everyone you know who's in the same boat and have a chat with the local cops. A quick phone call from a cop with the advice that he straighten this out or face charges might do the trick (I have seen it work). It's likely that's it not a problem sending in the paperwork, it sending in the $40 or so for each cert that is owed to PADI. If he sends the paperwork, but not the payment, he likely knows that PADI will go after him to collect. Perhaps if you bluntly asked if that's the issue and offered to pay that fee (it's better than paying to do it all over again) it might do the trick. If so, DON'T pay cash or even write him a cheque. Insist that you send right to PADI (make cheques payable to PADI).

Groundhog246:
If you've got 22 people and they all paid say $300 (probably paid more), then that's fraud over $5000 and could get him jail time. I'd round up written statements from everyone you know who's in the same boat and have a chat with the local cops. A quick phone call from a cop with the advice that he straighten this out or face charges might do the trick (I have seen it work). It's likely that's it not a problem sending in the paperwork, it sending in the $40 or so for each cert that is owed to PADI. If he sends the paperwork, but not the payment, he likely knows that PADI will go after him to collect. Perhaps if you bluntly asked if that's the issue and offered to pay that fee (it's better than paying to do it all over again) it might do the trick. If so, DON'T pay cash or even write him a cheque. Insist that you send right to PADI (make cheques payable to PADI).
Groundhogs suggestion appears to be the most reasonable until now.
Padi couldn't care less since he isn't a Padi instructor anymore.
Small claims means expenses and in the end you'll get nothing.
And the police has to listen if 22 people show up and complain :wink:
Just my 2 cents

hi
sad to hear that you and 21 other people got the shaft
however sounds like you still have not got your certs
i would like to help
i am a divemaster in kingston
and love the sport for the sport NOT the money!
i have a solution
if you are intrested
you can get in contact with me on msn messenger

aquaoren:
........................................Padi couldn't care less .................................

Did PADI really call you and tell you this?

Perhaps there was an implied "In my opinion" I missed.

Todd

TDunbar:
Did PADI really call you and tell you this?

Perhaps there was an implied "In my opinion" I missed.

Todd
What I ment was that Padi, eventhough they maybe would like to help, can not put any pressure on the instructor since he isn't Padi anymore and I don't think they would start chasing a non-Padi instructor.
Honestly, I doubt they would be doing a lot anyway. I hope, I'm wrong :D
But you're right, it is only my opinion :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom