SCUBA acronyms !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc, now you got me investigating, which is a fancy way of saying "doing WORK" ... I thought the 11th commandement of "thy shalt not inflict work on thine brother IT profesional" was know world-wide .. *cough*

To the topic (?) at hand.. The world "robot" was first used (and thus invented?) by the Czech playwright Carel Capek [needs a small "v" on the C] in his play Rossum's Universal Robots, written in 1921, and translated into English, presumably for presentation/staging either in London or in New York (or both) in 1923.

Needless to say, the main credit for popularising the term goes to the God Supremo of Science Fiction, Isaac Asimov.

Some useless trivia: Carel Capek's robots themselves have also made it into various "non-scientific" fiction, where they are more often than not called golems.

Here is some I came out with..

N1Hawk

a)KYL = KNOW YOUR LIMITS
b)LOL = Laughing Out Loud
c)LDS = Local Dive Site or Local Dive Shop

Anymore Fellows and ladies??

:confused:

Pete, all my Russian friends (and I do have quite a few) use machina for automoblie.

DSSW,

WWW™

Get back on the subject why don't you...

Hey Blargh,

Sorry, I thought you were just a, a, a user! I am SOOOO sorry, I hope you can forgive me now!

How about an ID-Ten-T error??? Of course thats how it's said, its spelled like this...

ID10T

Yeah, yeah, I know its NOT an acronym... maybe its just an anachronism like myself.

P.A.D.I.

Put Another Dollar In

N.A.U.I - Not Another Underwater Instructor
S.S.I.- Sub Standard Instructors
T.D.I.- Turned Down Instructors
I.A.N.T.D.- I Am Not Teaching those Divers.
D.I.R.(W.H.P) - Doing It Right only With Halycon Products (and these guys bust padi's chops?)
P.A.D.I- see above

Just a few off the top of my thick head
:p

Maybe not the right board, but it is on topic (well, sort of...)

I'm sure Pete has heard of the infamous PEBKAC error, we encounter at our help desk many times per day:

Problem
Exists
Between
Keyboard
And
Chair

Had to throw that in, don't have any diving ones yet:)

Andy
:D

We usually encounter the more destructive ID-Ten-T error or virus. Of course we write it like this;

ID10T

Back
Top Bottom