SCUBA acronyms !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, While RAH died 13 1/2 years ago, he gets new fans all the time and many of his books are still in print. His works are classic and many will outlive us all.

DSSW,

WWW™

Originally posted by mlove
Walter, DSSW You are showing your age. I that I was the last Heinlein fan left.
mike

To give you a hint of Walter's age........his first mask was made by

Louis Tiffany!

ID

those were chawin' tabaccy stains on the lens...

BTW, did you realise that Mr H was Russian??? AND that he coined the term "robot"??? Well sorta anyway, the term came from the russian verb "to work". A worker (in Russian) would be a robotat, to say "I worked..." would be "Ya Robotayou..." Except, of course, this is not the cyrillic which Russian is really written in.

:tease:

What DID you expect from a Russian major who never used his major??? Consider it my way of validating all those years at U of F!!!

Pete, RAH added more than one word/term to our language -- waldos, and water bed are probably the most common, TANSTAAFL and grock are less commonly heard. I was not aware of Heinlein having a Russian background. I do know he did not speak Russian, but his wife did. Asimov, OTOH, was actually born in Russia.

Dos vedanya moi drook,

WWW™

er, corrected! Walter, you are right it was Asimov and not Heinlein who gave us that term. You know, if it takes a man to admit he's wrong, than I am more man than most... of course that also means I am wrong more than most too! Sometimes I just get my fictional charactor generators mixed up!

xorosho... gavareesh li ti pa-ruccki??? U tak mne, vcyegda moi drook!!! (I wonder if KN can give us a little cyrillic here...)

BTW, TANSTAFL is one of least understood maxims in the world today...

Actually, 'robot' was coined by an early (19th century?) Czech dabbler in what was to become 'science fiction', and NetDoc is quite correct in stating that the original meaning of the word is 'one that works'.

Strangely enough, I cannot for the life of me rememeber his name, but the story was about a .. well.. a robot, made primarily out of clay and stones.

Would love to get the name of that Czech... hope he's still not in the mail. My Russian Professor Gaspodin Sullivan (who was from Texas) told us of Asimov in a lecture about how the two languages are becoming more similar with today's communications (and this was in the seventies). He might have said made the term "popular", but I think he actually attributed it's creation to him. Transliteration instead of tranlation is becoming the norm, especially for technical words. The Russian word for machine is machinoo and for automobile is auftomobilia. When at UF I did many technical translations for the Chemistry department. My best single resource was the english chemical dictionary and NOT a Russian one. I learned to transliterate any "odd" sounding word into English and then hit that chemical dictionary. I remember one word in particular that my Russian professor even had a hard time with; "Perfoos" and "perfooskovat". It finally turned out to be perfusion in all it's conjugations and declensions... I got extra credit for figuring out that one.

Part of the premise of "A Clockwork Orange" was the melding of the two languages. You can hear things like "Lets go vidi some films... Vidyet is the verb "to see", and the "milk" bar with the Russian word for milk "moloka".

Probably the funniest Russian One liner is from Dan Akroyd in the bomb "Spies like Us", when after they accidentally launch the ICBM says the Russian equivalent of "EXCUSE US!" Shades of SNL!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom