Scuba accident in Barrie Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We should be towing dive flags attached to mines, that might detour boat operators from
dive sites.
Tragic and unnecessary.
I wonder if a mandatory boating license should be implemented.

My condolences to the family.

Maybe we should loud horns attached to our flags that say, "HEY!!!, YOU IDIOT!! YOUR TOO CLOSE TO MY FLAG!!! MOVE YOUR BOAT!!!!!", when a boat gets too close. Do you think it would sell?? LOL

It said in the article that the boat operator most likely did not know they hit anyone.

What complete and utter bull!

They knew full well that they struck "something", and upon realizing it may have been a person due to the presents of a dive flag they chose to ignore, they fled the scene. I have seen too many close calls from boaters who just did not care and have the "I can go wherever I want, don't tell me how to drive" attitude.

This is a criminal case and should be treated as a homicide!

Dive flags and mines. I like that. Need a delay system and something to snag the boat so it'll be away when it goes off.

DandyDon:
Dive flags and mines. I like that. Need a delay system and something to snag the boat so it'll be away when it goes off.

My best idea so far is a gasoline engine powered water cannon with a 100' range on an auto tracking mount.

If anybody gets within 100', it would track and continue to blast them until they leave.

DandyDon:
It would make for an interesting artificial reef
sponsored by your local scuba club
but defenetly "hard hat diving"

From the article it seems that the boater eather didnt care about the flag or possibly didnt know that he has to keep his distance. (I doubt if the boat was operated with care that the flag was not visible). I wonder if the flag was redesigned: for instance a second flag with a street sign like STOP or DO NOT ENTER would be more clear to the weekend boater. I honestly think that most weekend boaters on a lake are not informed about the flag.

[I honestly think that most weekend boaters on a lake are not informed about the flag.]

That is the problem as it is only a law in a few places and should be law everywhere. Plain and simple.

Cheers
Derek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom