Scuba accident in Barrie Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read about this incident on another thread and was very saddened by it.

I wonder if we towed a white Javex bottle instead of a dive flag, maybe the boaters would steer clear because it may be rocks below or a shoal.

Still, its very sad and heart goes out to the family and friends of this woman.

PRL:
We should be towing dive flags attached to mines, that might detour boat operators from
dive sites.
Tragic and unnecessary.
I wonder if a mandatory boating license should be implemented.

Up here in Canada a boating license is mandatory for any vessel over 12' My wife and I are both recent OW divers.
2 weeks ago we were diving off our boat on a small lake in Saskatchewan. We had a few family members with us on the boat and my son on a PWC. He told me after the dive that at least 5 boats drove directly towards our dive flag. possibly thinking look a free tube or something for our kids, Idiots

[bluewatertoy]Up here in Canada a boating license is mandatory for any vessel over 12' My wife and I are both recent OW divers.]

When you took your course does it mention anything about dive flags ?. and if not did you mention anything.?

That is something I would like to know here on the coast I am not so sure about the license for rec boaters. I am going to look into it but we now have to have a Alpha dive flag when doing charters.

Cheers
Derek :LIFSAVR:

wolf eel:
When you took your course does it mention anything about dive flags ?. and if not did you mention anything.?

That is something I would like to know here on the coast I am not so sure about the license for rec boaters. I am going to look into it but we now have to have a Alpha dive flag when doing charters.

Cheers
I've split the dive flag discussion off to this thread.
Rick

As for laws, we are held to them and responsible to them even when we are unaware of the law. If the boater violated the law, they are still accountable to the law and should be charged with manslaughter.

wolf eel:

Cheers

They talked very little about diver flags in the boater safety course. they are more concerned with teaching the proper interpretation of all the different buoys and flags in the shipping lanes of the larger lakes and waterways of Ontario and BC

I was originally told this story by a friend who hear it in the news. The boater was probably most likely drunk and didn't notice/care that he hit something. Such a shame. :headshake

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom