Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post has flowed on, but no one has posted Opal or Gabi's condition. I understand Gabi is improving but what is Opal's condition?

The sad thing is I dove with Gabi just a month ago and as always he is a character. Opal is very near to me and she has become a dear friend. So as I stand in despair would love to hear how they are holding up.

I will continue to keep them in my prayers.

Seems as if we have be out of the loop, but updates are not hard to find online. So this is the latest I found.

Opal update:
Posted by April, Opal's Mom on Saturday evening about 8pm.

<Today was a good day. no crashes. She was able to answer a few blink twice for yes and once for no questions. Her eyes are bright and clear once again and focusing isn't such a struggle now. Little victories, little victories soon will add-up to big victories. Keep up the positive thoughts and prayers. And the family is so greatful for all the consideration and the generosity of all her friend and buddies. Thank-you. From the bottom of our hearts...Thank-you > April Smith

This evening at dinner I heard the sad news of Opal's passing by chance. It is up on facebook or i would not have posted it here.
They are telling Gabi tonight.

A bright and beautiful soul, may she rest in peace and smile down upon us.

There are actually 3 condolences threads I guess, as well as 2 closed accident threads.

I am wondering about how the shop is doing and its future? I wish the best for the employees. I hear rumors about how things were set up for them and I guess those mutual decisions were accepted by the employees, whatever the truths. Traveling divers who still plan to fly in and dive with the Op will be their best support, but they have a right to know what to expect.

There are actually 3 condolences threads I guess, as well as 2 closed accident threads.

I am wondering about how the shop is doing and its future? I wish the best for the employees. I hear rumors about how things were set up for them and I guess those mutual decisions were accepted by the employees, whatever the truths. Traveling divers who still plan to fly in and dive with the Op will be their best support, but they have a right to know what to expect.
Might be a little soon for them to even know... I'm sure the last few weeks they've all just been trying to get through the day and take care of daily operations and the divers already booked. Whatever the business structures, owners, finances, etc., that's their business.

In my years if diving in Cozumel, I know that the shops are really fantastic about working with each other. If for any reason a shop cannot accommodate divers who have booked with them, the shops always find other, suitable alternatives and I've never personally heard of anyone being left without a boat to dive from. If you've been a Scuba Mau customer and want to keep diving with them, book your trip. If anything changes before your arrival date, I'm sure that like any other Cozumel shop, they'd contact you and help you out with other arrangements with another shop. It's one week of diving for most vacationers. Cozumel has somewhere around 100 shops. Book if you want, don't if you aren't comfortable. Either way, nobody will be left without diving that wants it.

I've never dived with this shop, but considering what they've been through this past month, I don't think beginning discussions on their future or pressing staff to divulge operational and financial specifics is appropriate for an internet forum. Let the guys breath and have some time. Seriously, put it in perspective and drop it. Opening up the subject here will just further feed whatever rumors you're hearing. If you personally are that concerned and have a legitimate need and reason to know immediately, pick up the phone and talk to someone there personally. You know they don't participate on this board. Hasn't 2nd and 3rd hand info... and assumptions... already done enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom