Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last lesson that anyone involved in any sort of rescue capacity gets drilled into their heads is "scene safety," and that one victim is better than two - don't attempt a rescue that isn't safe for you and risk making yourself another victim. When the rescue is going after someone you know and personally care about, that's a very hard thing to do.

Unfortunately, that's something that needs to be worked out before the dive.

At the beginning of this thread I was thinking "What if that was my wife @ 300'+, would I go after her?" Then I realised it was an irrelevant question because I wouldn't let my wife get anywhere near that depth.

The best kind of accidents are the kind that are eliminated as a possibility before the dive. As TS&M mentioned, this kind of dive (not just this one, but all no-room-for-error deep bounce dives) are just a spin of the roulette wheel.

Regardless of the outcome for the victims, it would be nice if knowledge of this accident discouraged similar behaviour in others.

flots.

Last edited:
So, the facebook link doesnt work anymore? Since I do not have facebook, would it be possible for someone who does to post a working link so the non-facebookers out there could check in and see how opal is doing?!
Thanks!:sos:

Here is the latest post from Opal's mom. Posted about 30 minutes ago on facebook.

Well, the emotional roller coaster is going strong. The Dr.s are postponing the trach & peg until Opal's platelet count reaches 50,000. She is at 28,000 as of this morning. They are not going to give her anymore platelet transfusions as the platelets die off in 2 days. They want her to produce her own. So once again we are playing wait & see. She is staying awake more and focusing for longer periods. Keep up the positive thoughts and prayers.

Here is the latest post from Opal's mom. Posted about 30 minutes ago on facebook.

Well, the emotional roller coaster is going strong. The Dr.s are postponing the trach & peg until Opal's platelet count reaches 50,000. She is at 28,000 as of this morning. They are not going to give her anymore platelet transfusions as the platelets die off in 2 days. They want her to produce her own. So once again we are playing wait & see. She is staying awake more and focusing for longer periods. Keep up the positive thoughts and prayers.
I don't see that on the Rally page. Would you like to post it there?

I'm fairly new to diving. I got certified in March and am currently finishing up my advanced PADI class. I am planning a dive to Cozumel in June and plan on doing some local dives here in Cali first. I have to say this thread and the stories attached have me seriously frightend and concerned. I am also astounded at the amount of speculation and gossip that is initiated by so many "experienced' divers!!

I hope Opal and company get better. I have no idea what happened to them from reading this thread....but I started doing some research and found this link to be fascinating. I'ts all bout how ocean currents work. Might be a good read to some here.

HowStuffWorks "How Rip Currents Work"

Posted by vcblklion:

I have no idea what happened to them from reading this thread.

vcb said, "I am planning a dive to Cozumel in June and plan on doing some local dives here in Cali first. I have to say this thread and the stories attached have me seriously frightend and concerned. "

I have been here diving since Sept 4th. This is my 10th trip to Cozumel and I have been diving from Barracuda to Maricabo and dive conditions have been the same this trip as all the others. The last 3 days currents have been much less than usual, but with that exception I've noticed no difference.

I see no need to be "seriously frightened or concerned". Dive within your limits and use common sense and you'll enjoy Cozumel diving and understand why we love it so much.

TC

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom