Screwed knee = screwed diver???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dec 2013 is my target date for double knee replacement. :( Looks like the dry suit will spend next winter on a hanger :( My wet suit has been hanging around since mid July and will probably be there until mid Sept. I haven't got as many summers a head of me as I do behind me this getting old isn't much fun lately.

A friend of mine helps teach disabled military veteran how to dive. Some of these guys are paraplegic and have no issues diving at all.

Unless it's causing you some kind of pain to do it, there's no reason that scrapyard in your knee will keep you from diving :wink:

I have skinny legs as well as banged up knees from motocross and skateboarding in my youth. Jumping in and the actual dive is the easy part, climbing back up a boat ladder when the seas are kicking up is the biggest challenge for me. That’s the main reason I don’t want to get into diving doubles. I’ve been constantly working on improving my SAC rate and have been pretty (not going to say) deep a few times with a single steel tank on my back. Side mount diving does look interesting to me though, and I may eventually give that a try for long deep dives with a deco obligation.

I have avascular necrosis in both knees. I don't have a definitive answer on if I can dive. There is a better than 50/50 chance that I will need knee replacements in the next couple of years, although I'm going through surgeries now, with stem cells, to try to save the knees for as much as 5 years. 5 years doesn't sound like much in the grand scheme.
But, I can tell you I have no intentions of selling my dive gear, not even the technical gear that I purchased right before this was diagnosed!
I still plan to get cave and technical training some day!
It all depends on your will to do what your going to do but one trashed knee? Suck it up dude!

---------- Post added August 20th, 2013 at 08:20 PM ----------

Thanks for the helpful and hopeful advice. Seems I won't be the only one setting off metal detectors at the airport...
Start PT and biking as soon as they will let you. Get in the pool.
I'm two weeks out from my stem cell/core decompression. I started biking yesterday and I'm up to 7 minutes, 3 times a day. I'm waiting on the scabs to heal to start swimming laps, anxiously waiting. I'm also anxiously waiting on my PT prescription to go to physical therapy. Most ortho doctors are pro-exercise for most problems, if you will let them know you are interested.
The more you move and use your joint after surgery, usually,the better off you will be.
I have a second surgery in a few weeks and after that, I will be held back again for a week or two but once I hit my four week point from that second surgery, I will be rowing and swimming like a mad-woman.

Wow! I thought I had it rough. You guys are an inspiration! Afterdark, I hope your knee replacement goes well. I hear great things about the results people are seeing nowadays. Tracydr, the timing suck but your attitude rocks! I am sorry I didn't respond sooner, I didn't get notified anyone had commented.

As for me, I am just learning to walk again. Slow and painful but hey, I got to keep my leg. I plan on diving this winter. Please keep telling me of your triumphs, I really need the inspiration.

Done with my second surgery,off crutches and doing a lot of swimming for rehab. Doctor sees no reason why I can't dive. I'm starting to think about diving this month in the lake to start getting back into the groove. It will be cold,drysuit, poor vis diving. Good practice, maybe not the easiest conditions to return to after a long layoff,though.
taking it easy will be tough. I'm thinking about spear fishing for striped bass in Lake Pleasant, maybe play with my SMB to practice ascents, go out with a GUE friend to practice ascents and descents.
Maybe even take a class, advanced Nitrox?

Fear not, I doubt your diving days are done yet! Just make sure you get it properly checked by a diving doctor (not just GP) or even have a medical done at your local hyperbaric chamber, so you get the all clear from someone who is thoroughly versed in dive medicine. The key is not to rush back too soon before its healed an make it worse. Take it easy to start with - you'l maybe need to change your kicking style, or even invest in a new pair of fins if it makes kicking more comfortable until muscle strength is built up again. But there are plenty divers out there who has had similar incidents and come out diving, and I'm sure you wont be the last!

Done with my second surgery,off crutches and doing a lot of swimming for rehab. Doctor sees no reason why I can't dive. I'm starting to think about diving this month in the lake to start getting back into the groove. It will be cold,drysuit, poor vis diving. Good practice, maybe not the easiest conditions to return to after a long layoff,though.
taking it easy will be tough. I'm thinking about spear fishing for striped bass in Lake Pleasant, maybe play with my SMB to practice ascents, go out with a GUE friend to practice ascents and descents.
Maybe even take a class, advanced Nitrox?

Tracy, don't every give up. I am diving fine with my knee replacement. I have maybe 10-15 years with it before I have to replace it again, but that will not stop me diving. Even if I lost my leg, I will still dive. Only when they tell me any more diving will kill me will I "consider" stopping. Going to dive HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of Wales June 2014. Then Bikini Atoll. Life is far to short not to have fun

Tracy, don't every give up. I am diving fine with my knee replacement. I have maybe 10-15 years with it before I have to replace it again, but that will not stop me diving. Even if I lost my leg, I will still dive. Only when they tell me any more diving will kill me will I "consider" stopping. Going to dive HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of Wales June 2014. Then Bikini Atoll. Life is far to short not to have fun
Thanks, Peter. I'm not stopping. Or giving up. I will only give up when they tell me to!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom