Screwed knee = screwed diver???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tanksforthememories

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a recent motorcycle accident I find I have a much higher metal content in my left knee. Twelve screws and two plates to be exact. Thank heaven I was only going 5 miles/hr. My question is, once I am able to walk again will my new additions preclude me from diving, or are there any additional precautions I should take? I am strictly a recreational diver and stay well within non decompression limits. I also always do a safety stop at 20ft for 3-5 minutes. Btw if anyone wants a good deal on a WR250....:wink:
thanks in advance.

I have a bit of hardware in my left leg from those pesky motorcycles myself. My accident was in 2010 and it was about a year before I was cleared to dive again. You have to make sure the bone has healed enough to handle the lateral forces of the fin kicks and also to handle the extra weight on the surface. Once healed up, I have had no problems. Good luck on the healing process brother...

I tore my left ACL a little over a year ago. After several months of rehab, I got back in the water. I was very nervous about how my knee would hold up, but it has done just fine. I don't use an neoprene brace in the water to give my knee any extra stability as long as I have my wetsuit on. Best of luck to you during your recovery.

Kick gently, maybe try split fins so you don't overpower your kick.

I blew out a knee a few years ago. After the surgical repairs, I used split fins for a while until I was comfortable that the muscles were getting back in shape. As I recall, I had more issues with the weight of the kit and the roll of the boat than I did once in the water.

If your surgeon isn't dive savvy, you could call DAN and ask for a referral in your area. A dive savvy physician will give you better insight into how to return to the sport without compromising your recovery.

I've got screws in the shoulder and a plate and screws in my right leg and foot. I dive no problems.

No medical advice from me. Nowhere near your problem, but I do a fair bit of finning (split fins) using mostly one leg -- after the other one has cramped up. This may be good advice for when you start back up.

My right clavicle looks like a hardware store and I've got a pin in my ankle from a climbing fall, no problems.

I could have sworn my neighbor and dive buddy posted this question. He just blew his knee out at work last week.

Back
Top Bottom