Screwed knee = screwed diver???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and here I though I was the wreck... (both shoulders, both knees and 1 elbow have been repaired, both ankles are a mess, and the nose just experienced break #7)......

Just do your PT. Scuba is the reward. It may be hard to see right now, but will be worth every thing that is on your path to recovery.

My one comment with total knee replacement is to work it hard during rehabilitation. If you don't work it hard you will get less bend and that sucks for normal like and diving. The skin and muscle adheres to the bone and prevents movement. Anything less than about 110 degree bend is debilitating. Don't take it easy work it as much as you can stand. In the end you will benefit from it. Push though the pain and you will reap the rewards of near total movement. If you don't you will be like some of the people I know with limited movement and a debilitating life. It doesn't have to be this way, just work hard through it and get the rewards.

My orthopaedic surgeon wants me to have 90 degree flex by the 12 week mark. Yesterday I measured 87 degrees with a bit of pain, it has been 8 weeks post tibial plateaux fracture and surgery. The worst part is the pain in my foot that i suspect is due to lack of venous return and subsequent swelling. 5 minutes without the foot elevated and it turns purple and is agonizing. They suspect it is due to swelling and soft tissue damage. Has anyone else had this and if so does diving make it better or worse?

I've had a left total knee replacement. +1 to getting pt early and really working it. I'm 6 years out from my replacement and am not having too many problems with the knee. BUT, I slacked off on the knee bending and my flexibility has suffered, now I'm having to do much more therapy to regain the flexibility I used to have. So my advice is never end the therapy on the knee. Continue to do knee bends and use the strap that bends your knee back toward your butt at least three times a week for the rest of your life. If you do, you will keep your flexibility, if you don't, your flexibility will suffer.

As for diving, outside of not being able to bend the left knee as much as the right, I'm having no problems whatsoever. Getting up ladders is a bit of a trial with gear on if the rungs are a bit farther apart than normal.

After a recent motorcycle accident I find I have a much higher metal content in my left knee. Twelve screws and two plates to be exact. Thank heaven I was only going 5 miles/hr. My question is, once I am able to walk again will my new additions preclude me from diving, or are there any additional precautions I should take? I am strictly a recreational diver and stay well within non decompression limits. I also always do a safety stop at 20ft for 3-5 minutes. Btw if anyone wants a good deal on a WR250....:wink:
thanks in advance.

• "Don't do stuff that hurts"
  • Find out how to dive with a minimal amount of stress on your bad joints.
  • Put your gear on in the water
  • Get people to help you carry your stuff.

I have a bad knee and a bad ankle. Most of the time I'm fine but sometimes I look like I just walked out of a car-crash.

All I have to do is say "My xxx is killing me today. Could you please give me a hand with <whatever> and there's almost always someone willing to help.

Also, diving makes it all feel better. I'd never give up diving for a bad joint.

You might want to try twin-jets or other soft split fins (the operative word is "soft"). There's less "go fast and make quick changes" but the stress level difference on your joints is huge.

flots.

---------- Post added July 16th, 2013 at 06:56 PM ----------

5 minutes without the foot elevated and it turns purple and is agonizing. They suspect it is due to swelling and soft tissue damage. Has anyone else had this and if so does diving make it better or worse?

You can have your doctor talk to DAN if you want. They've probably had experience with whatever it is that you have.

flots.

Tore my ACL Aug 2012, ACL reconstruction with hamstring auto graft DEC 4th 2012. Started diving again May 2013. Started diving intensely again June 2013. I now dive as if I never had the surgery. In rehab diving again was my only motivation. Don't miss a single session. Push yourself hard. Rehab should be done in the AM in the PM and at the actual PT site. With time you'll be fine.

After a recent motorcycle accident I find I have a much higher metal content in my left knee. Twelve screws and two plates to be exact. Thank heaven I was only going 5 miles/hr. My question is, once I am able to walk again will my new additions preclude me from diving, or are there any additional precautions I should take? I am strictly a recreational diver and stay well within non decompression limits. I also always do a safety stop at 20ft for 3-5 minutes. Btw if anyone wants a good deal on a WR250....:wink:
thanks in advance.

That sounds hopeful. I am now a week away from being able to weight the knee. My left leg has wasted away to nothing. I have taken everyone's advice about physio to heart and am seeing some improvement, but there is a long road ahead. On the plus side my doctor wants me to get in the water, hmmm, I am pretty sure he means the Carribean.... I wonder if my insurance will spring for an all-inclusive?

Three weeks of weighting the knee now and I am still unable to walk without two crutches. I wish that I could have used this time away from work to persue my DiveMaster certification. I am pretty sure that hauling tanks and aiding other divers is out for a while though. On the bright side, physio in the pool prevents excessive swelling of the knee and foot while increasing range of motion and strength. I highly recommend pool work and stationary bicycles (if your physician agrees) for rehab after traumatic leg injuries.

It takes a while! Be happy you're being allowed to weight bear, only two months after your surgery. They kept me non-weight-bearing for six months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom