Scout lights on a bp/harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
What are y'all using to hold your Halcyon Scout lights (or equivalent) to your harness?

I'm using a small bolt snap tied (with cave line) to the back end of the light, with that special knot in it that they show online. After I've cut it closely and trimmed the line nicely, I heat the whole knot (not just the ends) with a flame so as to make the whole thing stay REALLY WELL. Then, of course, the bolt snap is snapped to my shoulder D-ring (one light per ring) and the light is held in place with an elastic band.

My question is, "What are you using for an elastic band?" My Hoadley plate/harness came with the standard-issue pieces of inner tube, which look great... But are a pain to use since they're so tight. Who's using what, and what's DIR? I've got the idea to use some thin bungee (the same stuff that holds my inflator valve to my rig) instead of the inner tube. I think it would be easier to handle.

Thoughts by those who've been down this road before?

I use the inner tube bands that come on a Halcyon.

In order to deploy, I pull the light down and away from me. The bands slide up and out of the way. I leave the light clipped off.

You should only be using them in an emergency - you want them to stay put in the meantime.

I guess if you're using a Scout as a primary (why? they're pathetic primaries), you could replace a piece of inner tube with a bungee loop to ease getting them in and out.

That's what I do, too...

Unfortunately, though, I'm using a pair of Scouts instead of a proper canister... One Scout's the primary, and one the backup.

The one on the right's the primary, BTW.

Anyway, I find that when I pull them down and out like that and make the inner tube slide up, then I have a difficult time getting the bolt snap off of my D-ring, as it's usually tangled with the inner tube.

How do you handle this?

I like to do it like you do if I intend on keeping the light attached... But if I intend to remove the bolt snap from the D-ring, I prefer to slide the inner tube down and off the light. It seems easier to remove the light from the D-ring then.

And for that reason, I'm finding that the inner tube's too tight.

Am I missing some "trick" to getting this light off? Seems like a small bungee would work better in this case... And that the inner tubes would work better if the Scouts weren't used but in emergencies (for me, with no canister, a pair of Scouts are my primary and my backup).

Turn the light on, unclip the bolt snap, pull light down by the head. You might have to guide the bolt snap through the inner tube, but don't try sliding the inner tube up or down - just pull the light through it.

If you're constantly using a light in this fashion, and the inner tube is still too tight, just cut the inner tube in half, so there are two pieces, not one - and just use one half to secure your light. The narrower strip will be easier to stretch.

And save those pennies for a canister light.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
You should only be using them in an emergency - you want them to stay put in the meantime.

Yeah, what you said! :D

I guess if you're using a Scout as a primary (why? they're pathetic primaries), you could replace a piece of inner tube with a bungee loop to ease getting them in and out.

Cool. Great minds think alike. :D

The truth is that I'm using this pair as primary and backup because I can't yet afford the $400-$1000 cost associated with a can light. Still saving for that one.

I just blew some $2200 on gear... Didn't have enough left over for the light. Tanks are next (so I can just get fills rather than have to rent any more) and then it's a light.

Yeah, in the meantime I think I'm going to do the bungee thing. :)

...So you guys don't see any problem with that (other than the fact that Scouts are wimpy when compared to can lights?)

First off, just to be clear, I use my Scouts as backup only. I do try to deploy them every so often.

I have two inner tubes per light. One goes over the head. The other goes over the body.

When I deploy, the tube over the head moves down. The one over the body goes back to the clip.

I don't unclip the light after I deploy it. I keep it clipped in order to prevent loss. If I'm not using it for the moment, I let it hang in place. Once I'm done, I stow it by putting the inner tubes back in place.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
If you're constantly using a light in this fashion,

Yes, I am. For the meantime, anyway.

...and the inner tube is still too tight, just cut the inner tube in half, so there are two pieces, not one - and just use one half to secure your light. The narrower strip will be easier to stretch.

Holy smokes... That's brilliant! Great idea... See, that's why I love y'all... :D

Okay, so when I get my can light and want to replace these "now thinner inner tubes" with the REGULAR sized inner tubes again, what size inner tube do I get?

Is this a 2" mountain bike tire inner tube? 1.75"? 2.25"?

Jeesh... One inner tube could last a million years. Lol...

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
I have two inner tubes per light. One goes over the head. The other goes over the body.

When I deploy, the tube over the head moves down. The one over the body goes back to the clip.
Similar to SeaJay's enquiry, isn't pulling the inner tube over the SL4 head, well, bloody hard?

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Similar to SeaJay's enquiry, isn't pulling the inner tube over the SL4 head, well, bloody hard?

Not that I've noticed. Its fairly elastic.

I'm sure that it'd get annoying if I were using these as primaries. But for backups its fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom