Scout light or Mini Scout?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek S:
The original intent of my post was to ask if it was DIR for a non-cave, non-wreck penetrating diver to use a light other than a HID canister (a la halogen canister light - not a UK light cannon, ect.) because I wanted it clarified for others. I hadn't heard of DIR divers specifically using halogen, and was curious myself. I already have a HID canister light. Jon knows this, as we've dove together on more than one occasion.

I've never wished DIR to be handed to me, I desire to earn it. It may be a slower road for me than some others, but I am making the effort. Life gets in the way sometimes. Bills must be paid, time must be spent with the family when I'd rather be practicing my skills. Does this make me a bad person or a bad diver per se? I'd like to think not.

If divers are going to be lashed out at when a question is asked (even if it is an honest question by a GUE trained diver), I can see why people would further perpetuate the "elitist" tag we're trying to shed.

Uhm, actually you did say "don't have the money to spend on a canniser light." J was just pointing out that DIR uses cannister lights - period. I listed reasons above.
Once again, we aren't trying to bash on you. Trust me, its clear when I am doing that.

RTodd:
Uhm, actually you did say "don't have the money to spend on a canniser light." J was just pointing out that DIR uses cannister lights - period. I listed reasons above.
Once again, we aren't trying to bash on you. Trust me, its clear when I am doing that.

I never said "I don't have the money to spend on a canister light." I typed:

Derek S:
What is a DIR diver to do if they don't cave dive, wreck penetration dive, and doesn't have or not want to spend the money on a canister light?

I was simply asking Jon why he was referring to me as if I were using a UK light cannon which is obviously not DIR when he personally knows that I dive a HID canister light, which obviously is DIR.

Derek S:
I was simply asking Jon why he was referring to me as if I were using a UK light cannon which is obviously not DIR when he personally knows that I dive a HID canister light, which obviously is DIR.
Because you were the one that posed the question. Think of it as if he was talking to the masses of lurkers out there patiently waiting for an answer.

Derek S:
I never said "I don't have the money to spend on a canister light." I typed: What is a DIR diver to do if they don't cave dive, wreck penetration dive, and doesn't have or not want to spend the money on a canister light?

Oh......, I see. That makes it pefectly clear that you were asking about non-HID halogen cannister lights. My miss-quote nearly resulted in the deaths of thousands. Glad you corrected it.

Fair enough. Color me removed.

Derek, I wasn't accusing you, I was accusing the hypothetical diver using a C8 because he can't justify the expense of a proper light who is claiming to be DIR :wink:

jonnythan:
Derek, I wasn't accusing you, I was accusing the hypothetical diver using a C8 because he can't justify the expense of a proper light who is claiming to be DIR
03.gif

It's okay Jon, I took your post out of context.

Besides, I should be prepared to be verbally berrated by my fellow GUE divers at any given moment, for it seems to be the norm and shall make me a better diver and person because of it. :lol2:

So now that everyone is singing KumBaYah (ducking) :)...

What was the consensus? Is a 10 watt 4.5 amp HID sufficient for non-cave/non-overhead DIR diving? Is the focusable/adjustable beam necessary? As long as you can use it for signalling, is a fixed beam sufficient? Specifically looking at this nonadjustable Sea Elite apparently made by Salvo.

So aside from Halcyon & Torpedo what other flash lights would pass for back up light in DIR standard. I've found on some site claiming some other flash lights such as Princetontech Impact XL which is LED as DIR compliance backup.

Sea Elite looks very nice and affordable HID canister dive light, any of you guys using it? Is it good enough for Cave?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom