Scorpion Fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 419644 Check out the nostrils on this big guy. This specimen was about 20" long and was perched on a cap rock type of reef in Fort Lauderdale, waiting for lunch to swim by.
I think this one goes back about 10yrs or so. I was testing a 100mm macro lens and this scorpionfish provided full cooperation.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Nostrils? Fish have nostrils? I think those are its eyes.

Nostrils? Fish have nostrils? I think those are its eyes.

Yes, they do. It's just hard to see on scorpionfish.

IMG_5891.jpg

They are a lot easier to see on eels. Here are a couple of eels that I saw in Tulamben, Bali, Indonesia with pretty distinct nostrils.

M0018040.JPG

M0018051.JPG

I was referring, and still am referring to the nostrils. Maybe if I upload a higher resolution shot, it we'll be easier to see them. This particular scorpionfish has an interesting type of tissue around the nostrils, it looks like a well camouflaged chimney that I believe lets it sense, maybe even taste or get a feel of what's in front of them, before they strike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom