Scorpion Fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMG_1227.JPG

Here is a juvenile Scorpionfish- Florida model. These are abundant in our waters. Don't have the green tassels per-se, but they can get pretty big. As they get older, they develop a green-reddish hew and the tassels become inconspicuous. When taking off, their pectoral fins will show yellow, red, white and black fan like patterns.

Cheers

IMG_1217.JPG
These other 2 older Florida Scorpionfish have the characteristics mentioned above. Excellent camouflage indeed.

I think those scorpionfish with green tassels & green "horns" on eye lids are unique for those areas (Cancun, Cozumel & Isla Mujeres). I haven't seen in any other places, at least not in Florida, Bonaire, Utila, Cayman, Zanzibar, Galápagos or Indonesia.

Here are a few from other parts of the world.....
Sydney Australia
upload_2017-7-22_13-9-12.jpeg

Juvenile hiding in zoanthids
upload_2017-7-22_13-10-30.jpeg

humpback in Lembeh Indonesia
upload_2017-7-22_13-12-12.jpeg

The weirdest ones Ambon pair
upload_2017-7-22_13-14-15.jpeg

Devil Scorpionfish
upload_2017-7-22_13-16-10.jpeg

Dan,
Good point. I've not seen the green horns- tassels elsewhere than Cozumel. I'll have to go check some old photos from Roatan to see if those have some form of tassels.

The ones in FL also tend to develop leaflike features under the lower jaw and around the cheeks as they get older.

Haven't had an incident thus far with these to write about, but read an article about accidental contact with them being very unpleasant. A fellow diver recently got zapped when distracted, setting a hand down where a scorpionfish was resting, and his hand shortly thereafter swelled up like if poked by a Lionfish. Apparently not as painful according to the fellow diver, but would rather trust his stories than to ever personally find out.

Cheers.

Here are a few from other parts of the world.....
Sydney Australia
View attachment 419138

Juvenile hiding in zoanthids
View attachment 419149

humpback in Lembeh Indonesia
View attachment 419150

The weirdest ones Ambon pair
View attachment 419151

Devil Scorpionfish
View attachment 419152

Ya, Indonesia has tons of variety of scorpionfishes, in addition to those mentioned above, also there are various colors / variations of leaf, weedy, lacey, hairy, raggy scorpionfishes...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom