Scopace available in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harro10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone on the Board tell me if Scopace is available in Cozumel. Over the years I have tried just about everything for motion sickness and this is the only treatment that has helped me. I am leaving Tuesday for Cozumel and went to the Pharmacy here today to pick some up (I have a prescription) and found out that it has been discontinued in the USA. I could order it from another country but there is no time for that for this trip.
If I can not get Scopace in Cozumel I guess I will use the Transderm patch but they have always washed off after my first dive when I tried them in the past.
Thanks

you might want to read this thread FWIW

putting a bandage over the patch can help with the falling off thing.

Thanks Damsel. That thread did confirm what I had been told and read that the patch is still available but the Scopace pill is not.
I was actually advised not to put a band aid over the patch. I do not remember why. Maybe I will try a breathable band aid.

Kev - I have tried and will continue to try to do so.

If you take your prescription to a compounding pharmacy, they can make up the pills for you in a day. You may need to get the prescription re-written to state "compound." Compounding pharmacies are the old mom and pops. The chains only sell pre-made pills.

It'll probably run you about $1 a pill, but that's a lot cheaper than the patch and probably what you would pay an offshore pharmacy by the time you factor in shipping.

I have checked with some of the Canadian pharmacies and they no longer carry Scopace. I have used the patch in the past and while it works, I got tired of the cotton mouth and pupils which made me look strung out on coke. I have heard many success stories about the oral form of Scopalimine. The appeal for me is the prospect that it will wear off in the afternoon/evenings when I don't need it. Please let me know what your search yields.

morecowbells - I have not tried to order it but In Australia there is an over the counter medication sold called Kwells. It suposedly has the same active ingredient as Scopace but at a .3 mg dose instead of the .4 mg dose in Scopace. Bayer Healthcare - Kwells - home

I really don't think you will need it in Cozumel, the seas are really calm and with the boats moving from site to site they don't rock. Also, I would recommend you try ginger tablets or chews to settle your stomach instead of other drugs.
Who are you diving with? What type of boats and what size?
I have done 8 trips to Cozumel, and only once did I see anyone look seasick at all, and that what when we had a storm rocking the seas (very unusual). The person decided not to dive, sat on the boat which probably made it worse. I don't know if she did get sick. That was the only time I saw anyone look green there. Other dive destinations... yes, see people get seasick all the time, but not Cozumel.

robin

Thanks, robint. I have tried ginger to no avail. I agree that most people will not get seasick in Cozumel. However after 200 or so dives there I have found that I do sometimes succumb to the effects especially if we are doing dives far to the north or south and are doing our surface interval on the boat. I try to keep an eye on the wind reports and on calmer days will forgo medications and manage the problem more holistically. Sometimes it works and some times I turn green. I am diving with Blue XT~Sea on this trip and Christi uses fast boats and they usually do the surface interval at a beach which is a big help.

Harro10: I can relate!!! I have had motion sickness all my life. (cars, boats, even a swing). I am usually good on boats (after sailing for 5 years) but when at SCC in January I was on a big boat all week until the very last day. There I was during my SI hanging off the edge of the boat trying not to feed the fish.

In April I specifically said "no small boats please". I was on the Reef Cat day one and spent dive #2 tossing my cookies at depth. Not fun. I got back on the boat and continued to be sick. We get back to SCC and I am first to jump onto the pier. Thought I was okay but while hubby in rinsing our gear (I was playing it safe) I was sick once more. What the h*ll??? I then realized it must have been my big breakfast. Duh! What was I thinking? I then only ate 2 pancakes for breakfast the rest of the week.

I was lucky to stay on the Reef Cat all week except when they moved us to a smaller boat one day. When I asked Henry "why??" He said because the Reef Cat was going to Punta Sur. My reply was "And???" And he says "they are doing the Devils' Throat". And again I said "and??". Oh he says. "You'd like to do that?" Not my first choice as I am a bit of an air hog but we had heard so much about it I was curious. Plus Jose beside him says "She doesn't do small boats well". I didn't tell them about my first day on the big boat. :D

I then went to the pharmacy and got some Dramamine and was fine the rest of the week.

It hard to get boat sick when you love diving as much as I do.

Back
Top Bottom