Scooter on Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I are going to Bonaire for a week in August. Our scooters can fly with us if we want. What are thoughts about scootering on Bonaire? Is it good for general exploring of long stretches of reef? What about reaching the wrecks, or other particular sites?.

We obviously will not be using them every dive as we also like to take our time and explore and even find macro stuff.

But, for this trip, would they be worthwhile at some sites for a "fun" factor?

Especially interested in hearing from anyone who has actually scootered there, but all comments from experienced Bonaire veterans would be welcome.

I've scootered there, on a small, "toy" scooter. Seems a waste. Mostly small stuff you don't want to zoom by, and the scenery is similar from site to nearby site and only changes a lot from north to south and east sides.

Agreed. The pleasure of Bonaire is the slow causal dives along an almost continuous reef. No point or purpose in the ability to quickly move from one area to another.

Agreed. The pleasure of Bonaire is the slow causal dives along an almost continuous reef. No point or purpose in the ability to quickly move from one area to another.

This. Typical Bonaire dive is an easy swim out to the dive site marker buoy (or nearby), then turn left or right and follow the reef. Turn around when you need or want to, and return to where you started. At most sites, the reef is just as nice right there at the buoy as it is 50 yards left or right or 100 yards left or right. There's really no "destination" to most dives.

The only major wreck that's easy enough to visit to merit a place on the dive site maps is the Hilma Hooker, and even though its buoy is slightly farther out than most, the swim out is still pretty easy.

And the swim to the reef is where I see eagle rays, octopus, garden eels...

If you like Garden Eels, go to Invisibles, where they hang out at 35 ft instead of the usual 70-90.

I took my N19 several years ago and it was worth the hassle. It especially was nice diving out in front of Lac Bay. That was some of my best dives and the swim out to in front of the bay would have been brutal without it. I agree that most of the leeward side is small stuff but with a scooter you can definitely get to places where you can see bigger stuff. I probably saw over a dozen turtles in front of Lac Bay on each dive. There is also an old sinkhole that was loaded with snook and bigger fish.

I took my N19 several years ago and it was worth the hassle. It especially was nice diving out in front of Lac Bay. That was some of my best dives and the swim out to in front of the bay would have been brutal without it. I agree that most of the leeward side is small stuff but with a scooter you can definitely get to places where you can see bigger stuff. I probably saw over a dozen turtles in front of Lac Bay on each dive. There is also an old sinkhole that was loaded with snook and bigger fish.
I agree, a scooter might be nice on the east side, but before using one I'd look at a simple guided shore dive with Bas Tol or Bas Noij, and/or a boat dive with the East Side Diving guys. That "sinkhole" is the White/Blue Hole, and those big fish are Tarpon.

I agree, a scooter might be nice on the east side, but before using one I'd look at a simple guided shore dive with Bas Tol or Bas Noij, and/or a boat dive with the East Side Diving guys. That "sinkhole" is the White/Blue Hole, and those big fish are Tarpon.

Thanks it has been several years. I couldn't remember the name of the hole and I was thinking they were Snook but I really don't remember and will take your word for it. They might have been Tarpon as I really don't remember them other than they were bigger than most of the other fish I saw on that trip. Getting old and suffering from crs.

A scooter could be ideal on some of the lesser dived southern sites. Just don't leave it in the truck.

Back
Top Bottom