Scientists Discover New Species of Scorpion Fish in Hawaiian waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to hear that we don't have a monopoly on stupid people in my state like I thought :shakehead:

One persons misprints are another persons treasures...we know you meant well justleesa. Scuba boards are meant to be educational not a place to trash another person despite their educational background...

I just thought discovering a new fish was cool
Oh good, whew! (I thought that was the point.)
:lotsalove:

No offense was meant! I just assumed that the "miles" part was what the reporter said, no a typo. My appologies:)

I am sure the news print read 30m (meters) and the screen writer assumed it was miles. Just goes to show you are only as good as your help.

I am sure the news print read 30m (meters) and the screen writer assumed it was miles. Just goes to show you are only as good as your help.

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this thread, and even though I realize it's rather old now, I thought you might like to know where the error came from.

First of all, many thanks for expressing interest in our work! I hope to have a project web site up and running with many photos/videos/etc. accessible online. Not sure yet when that will actually happen, though....

As for the "30 miles" thing, the news folks are only partly to blame. I suppose the first mistake was made by me, when I drafted the original press-release. Being the standard-issue academic nerd that I am, I'm in the habit of inserting en-dash characters (instead of hyphens) whenever I type ranges of numeric values. Hence, the press-release (drafted in MS Word) included this sentence:

"[The project] seeks to characterize the nature of coral reef ecosystems that occur at depths of 50–100 meters (165–330 feet) off Maui."

The next link in the chain of events happened when our public relations director copied the text from my MS Word file into the body of an email message, which she sent out to the various media outlets. Evidently, the email program didn't quite know how to deal with the en-dashes; but instead of doing something annoying like substituting them with square boxes or question marks or something, the "paste" command simply removed the offending characters altogether, yielding the following:

"[The project] seeks to characterize the nature of coral reef ecosystems that occur at depths of 50100 meters (165330 feet) off Maui."

Disconcertingly, the conversion of 51,100 meters is pretty close to 165,330 feet.

So, in a sense, you can't completely blame the TV folks.

On the other hand, I am a little concerned that neither the person who decided to run with the story, nor the person who wrote the script, nor the person who transcribed the script to the teleprompter, nor the anchor stopped for even a moment to wonder how we had managed to descend nearly five times deeper than the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

Aloha,
Rich

I did not know how deep the ocean is, now I do, thanks

I do know, now, that it is 3oo ft right off (2 miles off shore?)Diamond Head, according to my depthfinder from our outting last week.

"Note to self "tell VblueV and the techies about this ledge"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom