Scientists Discover New Species of Scorpion Fish in Hawaiian waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like Rich Pyle has been busy again; reading about some of the dives he used to make is pretty entertaining. :wink:

And his writings on IWR also make for some interesting reading.

Rickg

...The moral of this story is to not believe everything you read or hear! I would be interested in more on the scorpionfish!

From the same source?

From the same source?

From the link in my last post :wink:
KHNL8:
It has red scales, white eyes, and scaly fins. And it's gone completely undiscovered, until now. The Scorpion Fish was just discovered in the ocean off Maui by self proclaimed 'fish nerd' Dr. Richard Pyle.

"Finding a new species of fish in Hawaii is very unusual especially one that's this large and fairly conspicuous," Pyle said. "We weren't expecting to find this."

Pyle and a team of researchers found the never seen before fish using the Hawaii Undersea Research Laboratory's Submarine.

"At this depth range of about 165 to 330 feet, which is significant because it's deeper than what most scuba divers can do and shallower than where most previous research with submarines go, so its a really unexplored zone of reef," Pyle said.
Wonder if they call their sub HURLS? :rofl3:

I just thought discovering a new fish was cool

Not to hijack the thread (much) but I have permission from Rich & the UHMS to make his most excellent article available for download:

IWR - In Water Recompression
(280kb pdf file. do a "right click, save as")

It's different than the IWR papers posted elsewhere on the web, being almost a "how - to".

And his writings on IWR also make for some interesting reading.

Rickg

That report is pretty goofy. I wonder how many watchers even noticed? This was probably sandwiched between some war story and an "OMG Brittneys sister is pregnant" segment. Who writes this stuff??

:confused: Now I'm curious. Not that you could dive it, but how far down can water seep into the mantle?

I don't know but that series on the Discovery Channel about the deep blue was fascinating. They found 2 completely isolated ecosystems. One was around a lake on the bottom of the ocean in the Atlantic. The lake had waves just like one would topside but when they tried to put the ROV in it, it just bounced off the surface...it was too dense!!! It was cool to see.

This was probably sandwiched between some war story and an "OMG Brittneys sister is pregnant" segment.

One of the clients had the TV on at work this morning and that is pretty much where it was....how'd ya know?

Back
Top Bottom