Science Experiment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mommy43

Registered
Reaction score
I am finishing up a science experiment involving the loss of the red light rays at different depths under water. I am in the process of writing by report. Can anyone tell me when recreational divers started using depth gauges? I would also like to know if anyone knows when Captain Ron Stewart went to Bonaire? Any help would be appreciated.

Erica

Use of depth gauges began about the same time as water proof watches, when men first made dives using SAS or SCUBA. I know they were in use in the early 1950's. These instruments were in demand by SCUBA divers in particular because there was usually no surface support.

According the museum in Bonaire Captain Don arrived in 1962.

As the story goes, he used a red ribbon that he tied to his mask strap to tell depth rather than an actual depth gauge at the time, but depth gauges were available.

I had forgotten he had joined this board as well, maybe he will chime in, hope so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom